The Power Supply Unit recommendation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm buying a psu for the following rig...

9600GT

Core2Quad 2.6GHz

Corsair 2 GB DDR3 RAM

1TB Seagate HDD

ASUS motherboard(not sure which one)

I was thinking of buying FSP Saga II 400W.Will it suffice?Please reply soon guys...

Mephistopheles said:
Yup its the same one..but the problem is..wheneva i play a game (gta 4, medal of honor 2010, nfs hot pursuit 2010, etc) it becomes toooooo hot..will it effect the gameplay or graphic card in anyway? Does failure or burning of psu damages gpu in anyway?..just worried coz gpu is directly connected to psu..

Although I don't recommend using that PSU with your setup, but as you already have bought it it shouldn't be a problem provided it really supplies 400W @80+ efficiency as it claims. Failure of PSU will not damage the GPU necessarily but there is a chance with ordinary/garbage PSU that whenever they go, they take the hardware connected to it with them so one should be cautious. There is no review of this product IINM, so I cant really claim whether or not it does everything it says

nuke'em said:
I'm buying a psu for the following rig...

9600GT

Core2Quad 2.6GHz

Corsair 2 GB DDR3 RAM

1TB Seagate HDD

ASUS motherboard(not sure which one)

I was thinking of buying FSP Saga II 400W.Will it suffice?Please reply soon guys...
FSP Saga II 350w or a 400w

Mephistopheles said:
Although I don't recommend using that PSU with your setup, but as you already have bought it it shouldn't be a problem provided it really supplies 400W @80+ efficiency as it claims. Failure of PSU will not damage the GPU necessarily but there is a chance with ordinary/garbage PSU that whenever they go, they take the hardware connected to it with them so one should be cautious. There is no review of this product IINM, so I cant really claim whether or not it does everything it says
So i should i buy a new psu? which 1 would you recommend??

Ok guys, My VIP PSU died a few days ago. Kindly recommend me a PSU based on this Config.

I use my system only for browsing, downloading, watching movies, listening to music, Gaming (very rare).

CPU+Mobo : Intel P4 3.0Ghz+ Intel D865GBF mobo
Graphics Card: Sapphire HD3650 AGP 8x 512MB DDR2 (it uses Floppy's connector for extra power)
RAM: 1.3GB DDR 400Mhz
Logitech Keyboard & Gigabyte GM M6800 optical gaming mouse
1xDVD Rom & 1xDVD Writer( Both IDE based)
1x 40GB Maxtor IDE & 1x1TB Hitachi HDD sata
Realtek based lancard & 1 PCI to sata card.

My max budget is Rs.2~2.3K

I have shortlisted these PSU's

FSP Saga II 500W
Xigmatek NRP VC 503
Particularly How is the Xigmatek? The difference between those 2 PSU's are max Rs.200/-

Please recommend.

I finally got the Rocketfish RF-900WPS (900W) 80+ sliver certified Modular PSU.

Runs great.:clap:

really I am confused...some said 'yes' ...some said 'no' ..somebody please explain the reason.

^^^ psu specs shows this
DCoutput +3.3v +5v +12v1 +12v2 -12v +5vsb
max load 21A 15A 16A 16A 0.3A 2.5A

+3.3V & +5V max output is 103w

+12v1 & +12v2 max output is 300w

total power is 350w
max peak power is 400w
efficiency > 80%

^^

Harish meant the version of the Graphics card i think

neo, use the PSU calculators available in the net (extremepsucalculator or corsairpsucalculator etc)

whatever results you get as minimum recommended wattage, add 100-120w (thumb rule)

either upgrade the psu or buy a gpu which doesn't require external power connector to be safe

wish you good luck and good judgement !!

The current PSU should do, but it is recommended to have a little headroom by getting a more powerful PSU.

Don't overclock on your current setup.

@harish- I am not an overclocker of any hardware ....

are you sure that it will handle my 9800gt 1gb ?

i will play games like motogp08,sbk,BFBC2(in medium settings w/o aa)..resolution -1366 x 768

no plans to run any benchmarking stuffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back