The Power Supply Unit recommendation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! i have a question... will Corsair HX650 be enough for the following?

CPU: i5 2500k
RAM: 2 * 4gb 1600MHZ G.skill ripjaws X
MOBO: Asrock extreme4
GPU1: Sapphire radeon 6850
GPU2: Sapphire radeon 6850 In crossfire
Cabinet with 4 fans..
Cooler: hyper 212 plus
HDD: 2 * 1TB 7200 RPM WD Caviar Black

yashchitale said:
Hello! i have a question... will Corsair HX650 be enough for the following?

CPU: i5 2500k

RAM: 2 * 4gb 1600MHZ G.skill ripjaws X

MOBO: Asrock extreme4

GPU1: Sapphire radeon 6850

GPU2: Sapphire radeon 6850 In crossfire

Cabinet with 4 fans..

Cooler: hyper 212 plus

HDD: 2 * 1TB 7200 RPM WD Caviar Black
Yes though not the best power efficient wise since a couple of those cards in crossfire would draw close to 390W during loads and 180W when idling. Remember that a power supply works at its efficient best when it is loaded to half of the rated power. A 750W unit should be the ideal one here.

PS: Do not buy the system as yet!

Please suggest me a good power supply

Rig:
Its a HCL Busybee series desktop. Around 3.5 years old.
Comes with the following components (added some afterwards as necessary upgrades)

Mobo: Asus P5B-TMX/S (Intel 946GZ chipset)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @1.86GHz
Ram: Transcend 3GB DDR2
GPU: MSI 4670HD DDR3
Hdd: WD 500GB AACS + WD 160GB (1600JS)
Optical Drive: LG DVD-writer
Fans: 2 (1 fan(80mm on cabinet)+ 1 fan(80mm) on heatsink)

Well, please suggest as cheap as possible as i'll be running this rig for max 1 year. After that, i'll be going for full upgrade.
So, need a solution to handle the situation for max 1 year.

P.S. This pc comes with HCL 300W power supply and is running fine till now. But i encounter some graphic card problem and hard disk problem. The system used to hang very often as it couldnt deliver required power. So, to troubleshoot that, i borrowed an Intex 450W PSU from a friend and now, its running stable.
So, it seems like i should upgrade the PSU.

350W enough for this ??

I was thinking of Gigabyte Superb 400W or 460W.

Also, i checked that it has Active PFC, and i use a Microtek Home UPS. Didnt have a dedicated UPS for the system.

So, will it be compatible. I mean that it should not give trouble when power goes off. Coz right now, the UPS can easily provide me nice backup with other appliances on. I think currently i'm using Passive PFC PSU.

Details here in this post..(types of UPS n PSU)

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/of-psu-ups-pfc-sine-wave-114774.html

Forgot to add this in main post...

Also, if i purchase FSP 350W, and i add 1 more hard drive(1tb or 2tb), will it fulfill the power requirement ??

Need some room to upgrade just the hard drive in the system, nothing else....

FSP 350 is enough , it can handle twice the load that a intex 450 can handle, dont know much about pfc/ups issue, i have just started using ( 2-3 days) active pfc psu with luminous ups and so far it is working but i get buzzing sound when the ups is in back up mode.

but i get buzzing sound when the ups is in back up mode.

That's very common issue while using Active PFC PSU with such UPS(with stimulated Sine wave as in this case is Luminous.)My current PSU didn't create such humming sound, i need something quiet and calm.
But if couldn't find any other alternative, then i think FSP Saga is the best bet for me.

Btw, what about Gigabyte Superb ?? Any suggestions ??

I remember reading somewhere that gigabyte superb 460 is a rebadged fsp saga II 400. Your pc would consume < 200 watts on 100% load

^ Seems like FSP Saga II 350W fits best but i cant find that in the nearby market.

Most of them stock local brands like Intex or iball.

1 dealer stocks Zebronics pro , gold and platinum series. Those were around 1600-2000 Rs.

Went to another dealer who stock quality products.He suggested me to go with Xigmatek or Cooler Master in this budget.

The model of Xigmatek he showed me was Xigmatek NRP-PC 402 which was around Rs. 2000 .

Is this a good PSU as FSP is not available nearby ?? And about its after sales in Delhi ??

do not go for zebronics. bad literally. xigmatek ASS is good in delhi only. try fsp saga 350 or gigabyte superb 460w

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Gannu said:
Yes though not the best power efficient wise since a couple of those cards in crossfire would draw close to 390W during loads and 180W when idling. Remember that a power supply works at its efficient best when it is loaded to half of the rated power. A 750W unit should be the ideal one here.

PS: Do not buy the system as yet!

dude 750 is overkill. 650hx is more than enough. no problem

harpreet89 said:
^ Seems like FSP Saga II 350W fits best but i cant find that in the nearby market.

Most of them stock local brands like Intex or iball.

1 dealer stocks Zebronics pro , gold and platinum series. Those were around 1600-2000 Rs.

Went to another dealer who stock quality products.He suggested me to go with Xigmatek or Cooler Master in this budget.

The model of Xigmatek he showed me was Xigmatek NRP-PC 402 which was around Rs. 2000 .

Is this a good PSU as FSP is not available nearby ?? And about its after sales in Delhi ??
It will be available in nehru place or get it from theitwares for 1650 shipped TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!FSP Saga II 350W Power Supply - TheITWares

Hey all got a new pc and my config is

AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition

Gigabyte 880G-UD3H Board

8GIG Of Corsair XMS3

2TB HDD

And NZXT Phantom

and Corsair H70 Liquid Cooler

and ATI RADEON HD 5770GFX

So what is the best power Supply For above this configuration?

Hey Guys, I am thinking of buying the following :

1. CPU - i7 2600K ( going to overclock )

2. Graphics card -- AMD HD6950 ( gonna Unlock to HD 6970 and overclock )

3. G Skill 4GB x 2 RAM

4. Samsung PX 2370

Motherboard - Asus P8P67 Pro

6. Hard Drive - 1 TB

I am planning for a) Corsair GS700W / GS 800W

b) Cooler Master GX 650W

Which should I go for ? ( I might go for GS800W , if i had to go for CF in future). Your comments and suggestions guys... Is the Corsiar GS Series good enough?

Guys I am having problem with mp HTPC for few days. Sometime USB's are not detected, today its gave hard disk boot error. Initially I thought my HD was gone, but after testing with another comp I am sure its not busted. So I think its power supply problem. So can anyone have any Idea how much amp is good on +12V , +5V and +3.3V rail? You can found my HTPC setup on my sig. Currently again its running fine for 7-8 hours.

because there is nothing to mentioned about it. Its an old cheap 450W Frontech PSU. Should I go for FSP SAGA 2 500W or Gigabyte 460 is enough?

FSP SAGA II 350W is enough.

SudipBasu said:
because there is nothing to mentioned about it. Its an old cheap 450W Frontech PSU. Should I go for FSP SAGA 2 500W or Gigabyte 460 is enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back