The Power Supply Unit recommendation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am planning to go for a 850 watt unit

either a Seasonic SS-850AT 80+ Silver or Corsair 850TXUK 80+ bronze

Dont buy the PSU that you are looking to buy... buy S12D 750/850w or X-760 instead... ;)

Please don't recommend Seasonic 520 to anyone right now as right now its not available anywhere in India nor its gonna come soon.

I will upadte ny Seasonic thread as soon as it comes but tat is not going be soon

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Hades. said:
Dont buy the PSU that you are looking to buy... buy S12D 750/850w or X-760 instead... ;)
i want to go for the s12d but they are not in stock so i thought this was a good choice anyway thanks for the advice

How good is the Seasonic S12II 620W? I couldn't find too many reviews of the 620W model, although the 520W model had praise showered on it from all ends.

Please recommend me a power supply inside 1500 rs.my config is gigabyte g41 combo ~pentium 2.8 ghz ~ 4 gig ram ~ 1tb hdd ~ ati5450 hd ~ win7.i use it as a htpc and a download rig.

vantheman5211 said:
Please recommend me a power supply inside 1500 rs.my config is gigabyte g41 combo ~pentium 2.8 ghz ~ 4 gig ram ~ 1tb hdd ~ ati5450 hd ~ win7.i use it as a htpc and a download rig.
Buy FSP Saga II 350w ~ 1.5k

but if you can spend a bit more then i would advice you to buy Gigabyte Superb 460w ~ 1950

hades mate do you believe that the gigabyte superb 460w will be enough if i plan to upgrade in the future with a i3 series proccy?

vantheman5211 said:
hades mate do you believe that the gigabyte superb 460w will be enough if i plan to upgrade in the future with a i3 series proccy?
Yes it would do fine even with a 65w i3 processor... But if you want a better quality PSU and if you dont mind spending more then buy Corsair CX400 ~ 2450

Hey guys

I'm running the following rig right now:-

AMD Athlon 5600+ Brisbane
Gigabyte 780G motherboard
Sapphire Radeon 4850 (Dual Slot) 512 MB
2 X 2GB G-Skill PiBlack DDR2 @ 800 MHz
WD 320 GB 7200 RPM HDD
2 X 120mm Case Fans, 1 X 92 MM CPU Cooler Fan
1 PCI Addon Card for extra USB ports
1 DVD-RW Optical Drive

Will a Corsair VX450 suffice for this setup? Or should I invest in something more? I ideally wanted to go for a Seasonic S12II 520W, but since that is out of stock, I'm looking for something in a similar budget (Upto 4k). I don't plan to upgrade anytime soon. May overclock the CPU, though.

Please suggest! I want the PSU to comfortably handle the setup... :)

I won't say comfortably, but it should cut it. In fact, the bare minimum you need is a VX 450 for that rig with overclocking and some room, anything lower and you are in trouble. I would recommend a 550+ watts PSU to you :)

rite said:
I won't say comfortably, but it should cut it. In fact, the bare minimum you need is a VX 450 for that rig with overclocking and some room, anything lower and you are in trouble. I would recommend a 550+ watts PSU to you :)

VX450 indeed will more than suffice for that requirement. 550+ is overkill for him, unless he decides to upgrade DRASTICALLY, which he says he is not.

Get the VX450 man, your idle power consumption wont be more than 170 watts and may peak around 250W at load, while VX450 can crank it upto 500W of peak wattage if required.

What happens if PSU receives voltage more than its labled voltage i.e 240V. Would the PSU automatically shuts down? or would its fuse gets blown? :ashamed: I'm asking because my cousin recently burnt his PSU which he believes died because of over voltage.

generallp good psu's have OVP-over voltage protection. this prevents any such thing. but cheap ones dont have this and this causes it to short and burn out. be thankful it didn't blow up

Hey Guys, I am in process of building my Home Server and looking for parts for the same. I will be adding lots of HDD in future. For now there will be around 4-5 HDDs. It would be used for streaming HD content music and file sharing and will run 24x7x365 sitting in a corner somewhere in my home.

No GFX Card will be installed.

Most probably will run ASUS Mobo with 3200 on board GFX and Phenom 9850BE.. no overclocking required.

So I need suggestion for the PSU considering max 12 HDDs in mind in future.

please suggest PSUs with min and max price and quality. Don't need an overkill.. Never gonna install a GFX Card (FYI)

Thanks

Kuldeep

mrcool63 said:
generallp good psu's have OVP-over voltage protection. this prevents any such thing. but cheap ones dont have this and this causes it to short and burn out. be thankful it didn't blow up
Thanks for your reply. yes i know OVP feature along with OCP are present in good PSUs but i have read somewhere that this feature has something to do with internal 12V rails. For instance, when 12v rail hits12.5v, then OVP comes into action and automatically shuts off the PSU. I want to know, is OVP feature related to external voltage or internal voltage rails?

hello,

PSU (Tacens Supero 500w) handle Radeon 6850 with (PhenomII 555BE Unlocked to four cores and 15% overclocked) and (2*2GB DDR3 Corsair)

If not please recommend a PSU, I also plan to overclock the 6850?

Thanks

Rob

Hey guys,
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
ASUS M4N98TD EVO
MSI 460 GTX HAWK 1GB
2 X 2GB Corsair DDR3
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB
Coolermaster Gladiator 600
Sony DVD Writer
I'm looking at Corsair GS 600W (GS is the gaming series, which all of you know :p ) and the VX series had 550W and directly the 650W which was out of budget, so between the VX 550 and GS 600 i thought the extra 50W is good at the same price. Will it suffice my requirement and is it good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back