The Power Supply Unit recommendation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Corsair VX550 PSU and I would like to know if it will support this config:

Asus SLI based MoBo

AMD Phenom II X4 955 OCed to 3.8GHz

4 sticks of DDR3 RAM

1 7200 rpm HDD

1 ODD

1 Zotac GTX 570 VGA Card

1 Sound card

1 PCI USB3.0 expansion card

I have been getting conflicting reports with some suggesting to opt for atleast 650W while some online PSU calculators say 550W should be just enough. Can some body help in deciding this?

funti said:
I have Corsair VX550 PSU and I would like to know if it will support this config:

Asus SLI based MoBo

AMD Phenom II X4 955 OCed to 3.8GHz

4 sticks of DDR3 RAM

1 7200 rpm HDD

1 ODD

1 Zotac GTX 570 VGA Card

1 Sound card

1 PCI USB3.0 expansion card

I have been getting conflicting reports with some suggesting to opt for atleast 650W while some online PSU calculators say 550W should be just enough. Can some body help in deciding this?

Yes it will support this config. fully. Don't worry at all.

Casual Gamer said:
I want to buy the tempest Evo case because it is a great case & I like it very much. I won't have to buy those fans seperately because that case comes with six 120mm fans:D. About cooler.. I am from Bangladesh.. I am coming to Bangalore on coming May and will buy the PC. If I don't buy the cooler now then it isn't possible for me to buy that later on.. anyways what's the exact price of HX650w?
pls someone answer my question and suggest where to buy it..

Is Corsair Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply [CMPSU-430CX] better than FSP Saga II 500W and is it 80% certified?

Yes it is.

rohitshakti2 said:
Is Corsair Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply [CMPSU-430CX] better than FSP Saga II 500W and is it 80% certified?

rohitshakti2 said:
What is the difference between :

Corsair 400CX 80+ Certified Power Supply - 2450

and

Corsair 430CX 430W Power Supply - 2250
Information given by Rahul (theitwares)

CX400 is much better tatzy its 80+ Certifeid with 3 Yrs Warranty

CX430 is not certified 430W power is the power it'll give when the temp is 30 Deg Celsius which is never the case inside ur cabby so 430 will o down will go down if the temp goes up like 40 n 50 .... they have just launched this series to compete with checper PSU's but CX400 will always give u 400W and more too.

hey guys i have zeroed down on a seasonic psu but here i can see that most people are opting for corsair ones

can someone please tell me which one among the 2 brands is better and if there are any warranty hassles with either of the two

thanks

Gannu said:
Correction - Corsair manufactures their lineup of power supplies. It is not 'made by' Seasonic. This is a misnomer widely spread. They rely on Seasonic's designs but improves it in-house. And is not an exact OEM-copy either. :)

They work Seasonic designs to their requirements, but Seasonic still makes those power supplies for them.

zero_cool said:
hey guys i have zeroed down on a seasonic psu but here i can see that most people are opting for corsair ones

can someone please tell me which one among the 2 brands is better and if there are any warranty hassles with either of the two

AFAIK both are handled by Tirupati, so there shouldn't be much distinction in terms of warranty.

Both are equally good, with a majority of Corsairs being Seasonic derived designs anyway. Of course its bad to generalise, so perhaps you could specify what Seasonic model you've zeroed in on.

I stand corrected! This is what Jonny Sir told me over FB:

Jonny Guru said:
They used to use mostly CWT. Now they use mostly Seasonic. The only one that's not CWT or Seasonic is the AX-1200, which is from Flextronics. All of their units are based on existing platforms from CWT and Seasonic with some subtle tweaks. The only model that wasn't based on a pre-existing platform is the AX-1200.

Thanks for the headsup Eddy!

Guys, need to buy SMPS , currently running a on local "NECOLA" brand smps.

Max SMPS budget = 1.7 - 3.5 K INR

System Specs - AMD Athlon X3 C2 ( unlocked ) @ 1.2750 @ 3GHz | 8 GB Mem @ 1.9 V | 1 Hdd | 1 DVD | 785G BioStar Mobo

System Load - mostly idle, general browsing,idle to high load using VMware Workstation (mostly stateless)

Might Add a GPU later such as 6870 or similar.

So suggest SMPS with above specs including gpu load...

1) Corsair VX 450 (seen posts that its OEM has been changed ... such as here in this thread and at Corsair TX - Finding the truth - Page 4 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net )

and if corsair vx450 is now a S12II, on which S12II model is vx450 based upon, likewise it was supposed to be based upon seasonic S12II 500 due to presence of the airflow baffle?

2) Corsair CX400 ( is it being phased out, if so, will i get CX430 in warranty replacement )

3) SeaSonic S12II 430

Also is there any change in pricing of this 430 model , as difference of 400 bucks in these two threads

3000/- http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/seasonic-power-supplies-full-range-166027.html

2600/- http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buyin...y-community-pc-buying-178097.html#post1642823

4) i had previously bought a FSP Saga II 400, which was a Kaput unit with IDLE 12V @ 12.7 and very low standby voltage ... which lead to situations where we can't even start Computer. ( measured using LULTILETER )... so i will try to avoid FSP Saga II { or may be that i only received BAD unit ... } ... FSP saga II 400 was though best in accord to mine needs ( excluding GPU )... anyhow leave FSP....

If corsair vx450 is changed , which one to buy ???

Also note that i am using a APC UPS APC BACK-UPS ES 500VA 230V INDIA , and will there any compatibilty issues of a APFC ups and a SquareWave UPS output ... if i pair any of the above listed SMPS with this UPS ?

5) wait for Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W to stock back ... see here ... http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/seasonic-power-supplies-full-range-166027.html

6) Stick to NECOLA...and drink cola ...

Regards

harmandeep said:
Guys, need to buy SMPS , currently running a on local "NECOLA" brand smps.

Max SMPS budget = 1.7 - 3.5 K INR
System Specs - AMD Athlon X3 C2 ( unlocked ) @ 1.2750 @ 3GHz | 8 GB Mem @ 1.9 V | 1 Hdd | 1 DVD | 785G BioStar Mobo
System Load - mostly idle, general browsing,idle to high load using VMware Workstation (mostly stateless)
Might Add a GPU later such as 6870 or similar.
So suggest SMPS with above specs including gpu load...
1) Corsair VX 450 (seen posts that its OEM has been changed ... such as here in this thread and at Corsair TX - Finding the truth - Page 4 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net )
2) Corsair CX400 ( is it being phased out, if so, will i get CX430 in warranty replacement )
3) SeaSonic S12II 430
Also is there any change in pricing of this 430 model , as difference of 400 bucks in these two threads
2600/- http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/seasonic-power-supplies-full-range-166027.html
3000/- http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buyin...y-community-pc-buying-178097.html#post1642823

4) i had previously bought a FSP Saga II 400, which was a Kaput unit with IDLE 12V @ 12.7 and very low standby voltage ... which lead to situations where we can't even start Computer. ( measured using LULTILETER )... so i will try to avoid FSP Saga II { or may be that i only received BAD unit ... } ... FSP saga II 400 was though best in accord to mine needs ( excluding GPU )... anyhow leave FSP....

If corsair vx450 is changed , which one to buy ???

Also note that i am using a APC UPS APC BACK-UPS ES 500VA 230V INDIA , and will there any compatibilty issues of a APFC ups and a SquareWave UPS output ... if i pair any of the above listed SMPS with this UPS ?

Regards
For this I would recommend you a Corsair VX 550W SMPS (~4.5K) minimum and depending on your back-up time needed get either the APC Back-UPS 800VA (~4K) OR 1KVA (~4.6K). The APC 550 VA will not be able to provide more than one minute back-up on a SMPS rated above 500W might even trip on heavy load situation. If you want an SMPS on a budget check the FSP Blue Storm 500 (~3K). If you can't make these purchases together save up some cash and be patient instead of rushing into a ill-planned and ultimately underpowered buy.

The Corsair VX 450W will be underpowered for a card like the HD 6870. Power consumption of HD 6870 -- Bench - GPU11 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News , I think at this price range at a later date down the line it is better to get AMD HD 6950 1 GB edition.

Bench - GPU11 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News -- AMD HD 6870 vs. AMD HD 6950 1 GB, from these benchies I think you should go for a AMD HD 6950 because @15.5K + 20W higher power consumption (Load) and same power consumption (Idle) the 6950 cannibalizes its younger sibling with a 10% lead minimum in all situations. Hope this helps bruv.

^^^ if you see those benchies ... you see that system power consumption is 306 W for 6870 system ( and mine cousin is having a system equipped with amd athlon quad and 5850 with vx450 | note that 6870 and 5850 power consumption are on par )

so ... vx550 is not needed IMO ...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

neojjjk said:
mate try vx450
i am not gonna be Bakra for testing ... already had bad experience with a POV and FSP smps ...

^^

Go for whatever you think is right then but remember then that you will be unable to upgrade anything and will run a tight ship.

harmandeep said:
i am not gonna be Bakra for testing ... already had bad experience with a POV and FSP smps ...
Which PSU did you get from FSP and from where.

ALPHA17 said:
^^

Go for whatever you think is right then but remember then that you will be unable to upgrade anything and will run a tight ship.
Which PSU did you get from FSP and from where.
I am taking precaution for VX450 due to the reason that its not anymore the same product package from the oem ( as corsair vx450 is a changed product or of same/different oem ... correct me) as seen in vx450 reviews ( which mostly are before 2010 ) ...

Bought FSP saga II from gadgetz ebayindiastore Ludhiana based ... seller name - tarun gupta

harmandeep said:
I am taking precaution for VX450 due to the reason that its not the same product package from the oem as seen in reviews...

Bought FSP saga II from gadgetz ebayindiastore Ludhiana based ... seller name - tarun gupta
Then buy Seasonic S12II 430B 430w PSU which TheITWares is selling for RS.3000... ;)

And send TheITWares a PM and ask him that whether the S12II 520w PSU stock has arrived or not... S12II 520w is a great PSU which he is selling for 3.5k...

AFAIK both are handled by Tirupati, so there shouldn't be much distinction in terms of warranty.
Both are equally good, with a majority of Corsairs being Seasonic derived designs anyway. Of course its bad to generalise, so perhaps you could specify what Seasonic model you've zeroed in on.[/QUOTE]
i am planning to go for a 850 watt unit
either a Seasonic SS-850AT 80+ Silver or Corsair 850TXUK 80+ bronze

silver certification and a cheaper by 1000 bucks is what makes seasonic stand out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back