The Power Supply Unit recommendation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
antz123 said:
@Asingh

game hmmm ... i always am...
Quoting your explanation:
This works:
PSU rating = 750W (A)
Efficiency rating = 80%
PSU Draw = 750 / (80/100) = 937.5 (B)
PSU Throughput = 750
Calculated Efficiency = (A/B) * 100 = 80%

However Power Draw isn't constant neither is efficiency.

First take a look at this link... as an reference for working of a good 850 PSU. in case its an HX 850 Corsair.
Corsair HX850W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

You can see the efficiency is peaking at 50%-60% i.e. around 350.9 W - 515.2 W. (and btw this site i quoted becoz they dont test in idle conditions of (23C) rather is done in a hotter room.)

In your explanation of the thread i rolled you back, you have worked with an example where efficiency is constant and power going in is constant.

And when i said to buy a PSU whose 50%-60% Power through put is that what ones setups requirement is, then the system would be most efficient. Give more stability and also lesser in bills.

Further if you want to read-up on my reason to recommend a higher wattage PSU over "Right all you need" wattage can be checked here too: Understanding the 80 Plus Certification | Hardware Secrets

Hope sense prevails now..... and let me if my supposed over quoting of efficiency and 80+ helped now

@Antz123:
Okay, informative links. So Hardware secrets and 80+ certification process have a gauge issue. 80+ process is doing it at room temperature, and at three loads only. (20%, 50%, 100%). Your interpretation of the data shows that efficiency peaks at 50%-60%. Now let me transpose that data so it makes more sense. Not sure why hardware secrets created such a difficult data grid. I have only taken results for (3), which was done using their GWInstek GPM-8212 power meter. See the table below:

psuavg.png

Now, where do you see the peak in efficiency..? It is under test 2 -- for 41.30% efficiency. But that is not the point. I have inserted a final column on the end "Delta_Avg". This is the Efficiency at certain load - average efficiency of all five tests. This will show how far the efficiency at a certain load is from the average efficiency of the PSU. It can also be seen if each row in inspected manually : As you move from 20% to 100% how much difference in efficiency do you really see...first 2 rows its mere 1%. Now you telling me, that 60% is the sweet spot, so in order to hit that, we should buy a PSU that is 50% over capacity than my anticipated load. Would you ..? When at 20% load and 41% load 81% load and 100% I am just as close to the efficiency level of the "sweet spot" 60%.

Example:
Some needs a 450W Corsair unit : RS. 3990
50% over that = 675W, we make do with 650W : RS. 7688

See the price difference and compare it two the efficiency level differentials at each load setting.

@Asingh...

first are the rates compared by you for Corsair ... same model ? as in are all HX series or VX or TX series... coz 650 for 7688 is like ..way to high... a TX650 is for 6800 last i checked. Coz rates u picked from Lynx site if i am correct are of different models. An 800 vs esteem ... or swift vs esteem... so i dont go by that transposed data

Secondly I dont buy a PSU for a year, PSU and Cabinets are longer term as purchase. If I want to do a SLI tomorrow or add more HDD or and SSD or Blue-ray. i dont want to also bear cost of higher PSU. There is no end to upgradation i admit but a 30% buffer is safe bet by me.

Third yeah delta avg go till 4-5% from 20 to 100 percent usage as defined by your figures... however difference of rates in my eyes are paid of by a electricity bill over a period of time.. plus covers for future upgrades and 5C temperature increase when one is running machine on 100% load or even 90% load compared to 60%.

Rest its a person choice, as you say depends on how u look at the data.

Ok...I did not specify the models.

Some needs a 450W Corsair unit : RS. 3990 - Corsair CMPSU-450VX

50% over that = 675W, we make do with 650W : RS. 7688 - Corsair CMPSU-650HX

So it is a VX vs. a HX. Okay if you feel the models are not same so apples are not being compared to apples. Let me re-do it.

Some needs a 450W Corsair unit : RS. 3990 - Corsair CMPSU-450VX

50% over that = 675W, we make do with 650W : RS. 6930 - Corsair CMPSU-650TX

Now it is VX vs. a TX. Since no model is available in VX650. That is the closet match I can make.

You still cannot disregard the transposed data, it is right off the hardware secrets website link which you gave. Also yes, there is a 4% differential (in my transposed grid) between 20% --> 100%. But will PSUs run at 100% 24x7. It is the first four rows which really matter, and the more efficient at higher load theory completely fails, since those are the bands in which most users will operate. But I do agree with you, 30% overhead is a good ballpark figure. Rest of course is personal choice.

Can some 1 tell me whether Antec PSU are they easily available in india (bangalore).

If so can some1 tell me about the following

1) Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power

2) Antec earthwatts EA500 Continuous Power

how good they are and also Hw much would it cost in India?

Basically looking for core i5 rig and want good psu with my tight budget.

Thanks

I have a VX450 without a high-end gaming gpu. My PC along with the LCD on (75W on load) consumes approx 90-115 W power. If i swicth off lcd then it prolly is consuming approx 50-60W power which is way too less that the rated power of VX450. I am assuming MY PC consumes approx 100W from wall and gives 50-60W to PC. Corret me if i am wrong. If i downgrade from VX450 to SS 380W my 24x7 efficiency factor will improve. Is there any SS psu avl in India that is rated @ 250-300w?

Antec after sales suck. get corsair or seasonic. :cool2:

Manoj.S said:
Can some 1 tell me whether Antec PSU are they easily available in india (bangalore).

If so can some1 tell me about the following

1) Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power

2) Antec earthwatts EA500 Continuous Power

how good they are and also Hw much would it cost in India?

Basically looking for core i5 rig and want good psu with my tight budget.

Thanks

Maoj , earlier Antec was available , I think from Chennai based guy cyber space abacus but it is almost an 2 year old story. For now if you want to go for reliable and trusted brand , you can go for Cooler Master Silent Power M series or Extreme Power Plus Series. If you have a plan to wait till month end in March Cooler Master will be coming up with their all new series GX 550 / 650 /750 which was launched in CES last month.

Corsair and seasonic are superior in every way. Are u dumb? numb or daft?

kanofine said:
Maoj , earlier Antec was available , I think from Chennai based guy cyber space abacus but it is almost an 2 year old story. For now if you want to go for reliable and trusted brand , you can go for Cooler Master Silent Power M series or Extreme Power Plus Series. If you have a plan to wait till month end in March Cooler Master will be coming up with their all new series GX 550 / 650 /750 which was launched in CES last month.

Rockfella said:
Corsair and seasonic are superior in every way. Are u dumb? numb or daft?

There is nothing better than a good detailed explanation as to how CM real power series UCp series, silent pro series, Glacial power 650w AL are inferior to their Seasonic/corsair counterparts.

plz post a link if possible comparing the PSus.....neglect abt the warranty price part. I am asking these q's for a while and no one has replied yet:S

The problem is this topic has been discussed one millions times in TE before still people post with 0 experience/know-abouts. It is difficult to explain things again and again and this guy is again recommending X-treme power. I request mods to make GANNU mod of this thread to control unwanted posts including mine :ashamed:
Gowt1ham said:
There is nothing better than a good detailed explanation as to how CM real power series UCp series, silent pro series, Glacial power 650w AL are inferior to their Seasonic/corsair counterparts.

plz post a link if possible comparing the PSus.....neglect abt the warranty price part. I am asking these q's for a while and no one has replied yet:S

Rockfella said:
The problem is this topic has been discussed one millions times in TE before still people post with 0 experience/know-abouts. It is difficult to explain things again and again and this guy is again recommending X-treme power. I request mods to make GANNU mod of this thread to control unwanted posts including mine :ashamed:

If you cared to read you would notice that the recommendation was for the Extreme Power Plus series. which afaik is much better than the much blasted Extreme series.

apologies, are any of these "plus" series under 2k? and why on earth is he suggesting Antec when they have crappy ass?? This thread needs to be moderated, not everyone has good knowhows to post any suggestion here :huh:

stalker said:
If you cared to read you would notice that the recommendation was for the Extreme Power Plus series. which afaik is much better than the much blasted Extreme series.

We need psus like this one:

Welcome to Seasonic USA

But sellers won't import these because like the myth "more is better" we tend to buy higher wattage psus for non-gaming 24x7 operating desktop pcs.

Guys, please do not go on recommending Corsair/Seasonic blindly. There are users in India who can't afford all those units/WONT NEED THAT MUCH. My CM EPP 460W still runs like a dream for me(yes powered my 9600GT(with 3 hdds, oc'ed the card as well - 9600GT doesnt consume much against a 9800GT and above anyway) and have overclocked nicely;; my 500Gb hasnt crashed 2 years, my psu supplies clean and reliable power and ripple(Ripple will go overboard if psu's stressed nicely, Read Funky's review before again blindly ranting CM is no good) :D. Please keep in mind the budget of the OP and recommend a suitable PSU. Antec Earthwatts, FSP(One of the best) are still good. Rockfella, read johnnypsu and other websites to know more. Why don't we just make a list of good psus and corresponding price budgets(Also include warranty period)?

Then those users should go with FSP 350W psu. :)
Striker10 said:
Guys, please do not go on recommending Corsair/Seasonic blindly. There are users in India who can't afford all those units/WONT NEED THAT MUCH. My CM EPP 460W still runs like a dream for me(yes my 500Gb hasnt crashed 2 years, my psu supplies clean and reliable power and ripple(Ripple will go overboard if psu's stressed nicely, Read Funky's review before again blindly ranting CM is no good) :D. Please keep in mind the budget of the OP and recommend a suitable PSU. Antec Earthwatts, FSP(One of the best) are still good. Rockfella, read johnnypsu and other websites to know more.

Agreed, not everyone can afford expensive power supplies for their systems but it doesn't harm if we tell them about the probable consequences of using a low-end power supply with power hungry components.

Rockfella Bhai , I am not dumb neither numb nor daft !!! But is it required to compulsorily keep suggesting the PSU brand which are more affectionate to you ? I am satisfied with CM Extreme Power Plus as well as Silent Power M seris sincle last one and half year , and wherever I have suggested , I have not come across any major issues. Moreover one of the brands you suggested , I had a very bad experiance in it which actually have burnt the Chassis , HDD and Motherboard . I have the photos and you may PM me if you want me to share it.

You not me are affectionate towards crapshit :S the day i loose faith on SS and Corsair i will switch over and dump them like a hot brick. No brainer. I am not emotionally attached with SS/Corsair. Sorry if i sounded rude :p
kanofine said:
Rockfella Bhai , I am not dumb neither numb nor daft !!! But is it required to compulsorily keep suggesting the PSU brand which are more affectionate to you ? I am satisfied with CM Extreme Power Plus as well as Silent Power M seris sincle last one and half year , and wherever I have suggested , I have not come across any major issues. Moreover one of the brands you suggested , I had a very bad experiance in it which actually have burnt the Chassis , HDD and Motherboard . I have the photos and you may PM me if you want me to share it.

Well the reason(s) I suggest Corsair/Seasonic:

1. I am giving free advice to guys I do not know -- so want to be absolute sure.

2. I have no liability here for giving wrong advice -- so I play safe.

3. Would never buy anything else but a SS/Corsair. Its just a matter of faith. If I had a choice between substandard parts, I would make sure PSU is never that.

4. I have read more about CM series failing as compared to Corsair/SS.

Of course CM series are not bad. It is a reputed company. At the same time, I do not lambast the CM series. But I recommend them below Corsair/SS. You could say, I am the type of guy, who has to be absolute sure of things. (Yes, I check my house/car locks 3x times). So same with PSU.

Rockfella Bhai, You did not sound me rude but rather frustrated when saw somebody recommending CM :eek:hyeah:
Yes after more than one and half years of experiance I am affectionate to CM but while posting make sure that I do not call other brands crapshit XXXX But like suggesting the CM PSU due to my couple best experiances witht his brand in PSU and CPU Cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back