Whom are you going to vote in India in 2013-14 elections?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who are saying that Modi is not doing enough to eradicate poverty, how exactly can one eradicate poverty? Only solution I can think of is to increase industrial and agricultural production and educate the poor so that they can find jobs in industrial, agricultural and service sectors.
BTW, the rate of GDP growth can't be the sole criteria for measuring a state's success. States like Gujarat which were already rich will obviously have a lower rate of growth than states like Bihar.

@Crazy_Eddy It's cool to hate on the current govt. in all instances, didn't you know? Don't go with facts, go with emotions - play to the gallery.

I think what he might be trying to convey is that out of your list - while some of the things can be credited solely to the UPA government, most of them can't.

It's my opinion, and you are very much entitled to yours, that currently we are in very bad time/situation here. There has been so much influx of money in the last 10 years, that all political parties seem to have realized that this is an opportunity of a lifetime. I hope we go ahead and correctly choose the lesser evil.

Corruption is like termites which eat a house from the inside-out and Congress has been worse than that. When people point fingers and say "Dynasty Politics", they aren't joking. Rahul Gandhi's speech to business leaders was a prime example. He was addressing them by using words like "Boss", which in itself was totally inappropriate. Again it is a small point, but not trivial since this guy is vying for the PM's seat. He seems more or less confident that being a "Gandhi" is enough to get him to power.

Only one thought comes to mind whenever I seem them speaking in any debate/press conference - Power leads to Corruption, Absolute Power leads to Absolute Corruption. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to know your opinions whom are you going to vote & why. Please give the reason for that particular party/person?

1. Rahul Gandhi.
2. Manmohan Singh.
3. Narendra Modi.
4. LK Advani.
5. Arvind Kejriwal

Personally I would vote Narendra Modi as I think his vision is absolutely remarkable and the way he has bought up Gujarat hats off to him. The way technology has been brought up its amazing in Gujarat.

If he gets a chance then I think he will bring India ahead then that of United States I am 101% sure of that.

Congress I cant assume anything because from past 2-3 decades we have just got inflation and false hopes nothing else and we have seen all others getting raped and no action has been taken. Currently also the prices are being raised for the sake of election fund.

Also are you going to inform others also to vote for the same person. Because Congress is just based on 25 lakh votes from all over India. Whereas the population of India is more then 1.2 billion if I am not mistaken. If we all come under one roof and start to vote then we can kick the corrupt government out.

We need to spread this news in each and every forum where all Indian members are there so that they can come out and vote. Based on our votes we can now choose the right leader rather then crying why we have this government who just does nothing. So now the power is in the hands of the common person. So think 10000 times before you vote. Ek Chavani dikhake humare desh ke logo ko arabo rupayo ka chuna lag chuka hain jiska wapas aane ka naam hi nahi hain.

I am curious, is there a reason why the names have been arranged in the order they are ?

I think the whole thing has to be reframed considering India's democratic system. We do not vote for the PM directly, we vote for a party which elects the PM. So the big question here is , WHICH PARTY WOULD YOU VOTE FOR. and as someone suggested convert it into a poll.

Corruption is like termites which eat a house from the inside-out and Congress has been worse than that. When people point fingers and say "Dynasty Politics", they aren't joking. Rahul Gandhi's speech to business leaders was a prime example. He was addressing them by using words like "Boss", which in itself was totally inappropriate. Again it is a small point, but not trivial since this guy is vying for the PM's seat. He seems more or less confident that being a "Gandhi" is enough to get him to power.

Only one thought comes to mind whenever I seem them speaking in any debate/press conference - Power leads to Corruption, Absolute Power leads to Absolute Corruption. :(

Not true always, Case in point past PM of Singapore, he was a virtual dictator, but not a greedy one and which is why Singapore succeedded like it did. I think that is what any country needs for rapid advancement. Modi ? Nitish ? A name missing from the list. But what we need is a PM of India, not PM of a state.

But what we need is a PM of India, not PM of a state.
No minister serves the nation now, they only serve themselves. It might be a very long time before we actually get a PM of India and not a PM meant to rule over India by the elected party.

Also, if we vote for so and so party to make the person pm, it doesnt mean MP of our constituency will be also good, the one we have voted for..!!

Also, if we vote for so and so party to make the person pm, it doesnt mean MP of our constituency will be also good, the one we have voted for..!!
I guess one has a choice here, do they want their vote to count for a local or national importance?

I feel a good leader at the top will be able to fix a lot of things, whereas the impact of a local leader may be limited. I would always vote for a party which would have a good leader and one which is truly secular and who believe in one country one law, rather to splitting it up for "vote banks"

Politics is always about choosing the lesser of the evils. I guess Modi as PM is the least evil option our country has. He has a vision, unlike the congress which has no ideology except the Gandhi family and the sub families like scindia, Jindal etc.

I guess one has a choice here, do they want their vote to count for a local or national importance?

I feel a good leader at the top will be able to fix a lot of things, whereas the impact of a local leader may be limited. I would always vote for a party which would have a good leader and one which is truly secular and who believe in one country one law, rather to splitting it up for "vote banks"
Now this has hit the nail on the head. Our problem has not been Congress or BJP rather nationalism versus regionalism. Too many people are giving importance to the regional values while voting during in the "General Election". They forget the word general. Outcome is a hung parliament where even a regional party with 2-3 MPs can play the "kingmaker". They ask some atrocious portfolios just so that they can scam money out of it. If you go back and see AIADMK will form coalition with any government until they get some specific Tech related portfolios. Be it IT, Telecom etc. Similarly, a party in the Bihar/Bengal belt will pull the Railways portfolio.
So we need to empower our central government to avoid doing this. Pick a side - Rahul Gandhi or Narendra Modi and vote for them, not the regional lackeys who play on the regional sentiments.

Secondly, for guys talking about atrocious acts by Modi, he is guilty. So is Congress during the 1984 riots. This media hogwash over secularism is blinding us. Congress has systemically allowed Bangladeshi Muslim to come in via the border to play the "Muslim" Card. Those people can easily get a voter id card. Whom they do vote for? Obviously Congress. This is actually leads to burden on the system and needs to be discussed similar to immigration lines in the US. It is going to put undue stress on the system specially after the UID is implemented.

@blkrb0t - Your defense of MM reminds me of a friend who really loves Mahatma Gandi (pls dont use that topic to go OT ;) ). The points you put are all valid NGREA, UID, RTI etc but...
RTI - All good piece of legislature no doubt. The problem has been every one now wants an exemption. And they are getting one. For some really absurd reason. Why have RTI when everything needs to be "excluded".
NGREA - @Superbad has clarified it well. It is a corruption pit.
UID - Less is said the better. No verification. Forced registration. How many cards do we need now? I heard there was another card on the horizon.
Indo-US nuclear deal - This one is tricky. India doesnt really need nuclear electricity if the power projects in Uttaranchal are carried out correctly. But MM will have us believe this is the way to go. Fact is many countries who are on nuclear power are trying to reduce their dependency. The cost of nuclear electricity is way higher than the benefits. One of them being dumping the waste.
Growth of Indian Railway - Could you be more specific? Indian Railway has done a volte face during the MM reign. They first separated IRCTC to a separate entity. Then when Mamta Banerjee came back she merged it back to Railways. So what was the point in separating? I know. We have too much money and time.

@Crazy_Eddy - When we talk about Japan, arent we making a straw man argument here? How does Japan deflation tie into the India's uber high inflation? Inflation is necessary but not this high.

Also, personally Nitish Kumar is also a choice. He has transformed Bihar and many of us are now dreaming of returning to their state someday. Though I highly doubt he is famous on the national front.

OTOH, someone mentioned protest vote.
"Although, Rule 49 O of the Conduct of Election Rules, 1961 provides that an elector may refuse to vote after he has been identified and necessary entries made in the Register of Electors and the marked copy of the electoral roll, the secrecy of voting is not protected here inasmuch as the polling officials and the polling agents in the polling station get to know about the decision of such a voter."
http://www.voteindia.in/news.php
And interestingly, it was used some where recently (albeit with a difference):
http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/02/25/us-italy-vote-idUSBRE91M0EB20130225

5 years ago I was assuming Rahul Gandhi would be the next emerging leader who have a spirit and enthusiasm...
But now personally feels he has no capability to show in front of common public.. Remained in van vaas most of the time, rarely spoke in public, never broadcasted his vision and mission...
What quality he is reflecting to make people look at him as future pm??

5 years ago I was assuming Rahul Gandhi would be the next emerging leader who have a spirit and enthusiasm...
But now personally feels he has no capability to show in front of common public.. Remained in van vaas most of the time, rarely spoke in public, never broadcasted his vision and mission...
What quality he is reflecting to make people look at him as future pm??

Gandhi phamily ka yuvraaj hei bhai. What else do you need ? :hungover:

I actually read through the whole 4 pages to see if anyone made the comment im about to make,but no one did. Anyways,
People and industrialist are talking about Modi being the messiah who has changed the face of gujrat and will do so for the whole of India. The thing is, and surprisingly no one seems to be touching it is the fact that gujrat was always ahead of most of the other states when it came to Business since the 1980's. Thats the sole reason why gujratis r nicked as the Business community of India. The term comes cause they are from gujrat.
The poor in gujrat or anywhere else in India are outright poor. to see how bad the state is, go to places like kutch, khambat.. Thats like the Latur of Maharashtra.

I am no longer a pro congress and will probably not even vote for anyone, will tell u why in a bit.. and though i am a muslim i honestly dont have a problem with the BJP coming in power but here i my problem with the bjp, Narendra Modi...
I would be ashamed to call him the Pm of my country... I strongly believe that a Pm can get away with lack of ability if backed by a strong team (laloo as railway minister comes to mind), but a pm candidate just cannot have a tainted image when it comes to the Human Factor. What happened in Gujrat can and should not ever be forgotten.

Why no congress? frankly them being in power has had no positive changes to my life in any way. Inspite of them winning, locally a shiv sena leader/BJP keeps winning and so do they keep winning the bmc election.
I live in an Area where a 2 bed flat costs 6 CR and to realize how bad things r, all i need to do is take my car out of my compound and for a 1 km stretch it feels like im on the moons surface.

Point im making is, neither congress or bjp is not gonna change my life. But no Modi. Even if he converts the roads of Mumbai to the standards of an F1 track, i still wouldnt be able to digest the fact that a guy who was responsible for the atrocities in Gujrat, is the Prime Minister of my country,, That will surely be a very sad day for me///

I am no longer a pro congress and will probably not even vote for anyone, will tell u why in a bit.. and though i am a muslim i honestly dont have a problem with the BJP coming in power but here i my problem with the bjp, Narendra Modi...
I would be ashamed to call him the Pm of my country... I strongly believe that a Pm can get away with lack of ability if backed by a strong team (laloo as railway minister comes to mind), but a pm candidate just cannot have a tainted image when it comes to the Human Factor. What happened in Gujrat can and should not ever be forgotten.

.....///
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly did happen in Gujarat? I hear a lot about it but haven't actually quite been told what did happen, and why did it happen?

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly did happen in Gujarat? I hear a lot about it but haven't actually quite been told what did happen, and why did it happen?
Honestly i rather not post on a open public forum.
But i can tell u abt our personal experience. First cousin had a rope factor at Halol and resided in Baroda. He is married to a gujrati girl. During riots, a competitor organized a mob, burned his factory to the ground and then they proceeded to their residence. At that time he was in d factory but got away(rescued by a gujju trader in his personal car). By then they had escaped and had come to Mumbai by road overnight. Have now moved to Canada. Its been 9 yrs and he refuses to come down even for a couple of days. He says he still gets nightmares of what happened..

Honestly i rather not post on a open public forum.
But i can tell u abt our personal experience. First cousin had a rope factor at Halol and resided in Baroda. He is married to a gujrati girl. During riots, a competitor organized a mob, burned his factory to the ground and then they proceeded to their residence. At that time he was in d factory but got away(rescued by a gujju trader in his personal car). By then they had escaped and had come to Mumbai by road overnight. Have now moved to Canada. Its been 9 yrs and he refuses to come down even for a couple of days. He says he still gets nightmares of what happened..

So the person to blame was the competitor ? and it was a business rivalry? How does Modi fit in ?

People are happy to condemn whatever happened publicly yet I have not had one person debate this point with me publicly or privately, except say it was terrible. I respect your wishes and will not push it further.

He was allowed to, as was everyone else through non involment of police. They apparently just stood and watched. He belonged to a particular sangh. Hope u can read between the lines...
So the person to blame was the competitor ? and it was a business rivalry? How does Modi fit in ?

People are happy to condemn whatever happened publicly yet I have not had one person debate this point with me publicly or privately, except say it was terrible. I respect your wishes and will not push it further.

@edge111hussain

The riot was a well planned one. A list of all the residences and businesses of Muslims was passed along to the rioters beforehand as targets, this wouldn't have happened without any state involvement. "Rioters had detailed lists of Muslim residents and businesses, and violence occurred within view of police stations" - Human Rights Watch

Modi maintained his Butcher image up until recently, to satisfy his main backers, but only now is he turning colours now that he has his eye on the national politics. Just see the tolerance level of his supporters and you'll realise. They'll either attack you either as pro-Congress, or go on innumerable paths of ad hominem attacks (they're just like religion nut jobs in many cases), and some even have the audacity to call you anti-nationalist as if idolising a single person makes you so.

His PR agencies are also doing a great job to make Gujarat seem as the Unicorn state of India, while pushing the agenda that India itself is slumbering as a whole - and now they don't even have to try, the facts don't matter.

The current government is far from perfect, and is even tainted to the core in many departments, but not greater than Modi and his government. Even if BJP does come to power, there are many deserving more than Modi.

He was allowed to, as was everyone else through non involment of police. They apparently just stood and watched. He belonged to a particular sangh. Hope u can read between the lines...
Since we have started the topic, what exactly did happen ? and why ?

@edge111hussain

The riot was a well planned one. A list of all the residences and businesses of Muslims was passed along to the rioters beforehand as targets, this wouldn't have happened without any state involvement. "Rioters had detailed lists of Muslim residents and businesses, and violence occurred within view of police stations" - Human Rights Watch

Modi maintained his Butcher image up until recently, to satisfy his main backers, but only now is he turning colours now that he has his eye on the national politics. Just see the tolerance level of his supporters and you'll realise. They'll either attack you either as pro-Congress, or go on innumerable paths of ad hominem attacks (they're just like religion nut jobs in many cases), and some even have the audacity to call you anti-nationalist as if idolising a single person makes you so.

His PR agencies are also doing a great job to make Gujarat seem as the Unicorn state of India, while pushing the agenda that India itself is slumbering as a whole - and now they don't even have to try, the facts don't matter.

The current government is far from perfect, and is even tainted to the core in many departments, but not greater than Modi and his government. Even if BJP does come to power, there are many deserving more than Modi.
A lot of talk, any details ? Any parallels in History ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back