BSNL 3G Thread

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Called up the toll free number and another aunty picked up the phone and she was asking me if there is 3G in my place lol. :p

Anyways, I suppose Surat has 3G already. I'll contact my landlord and do the needful.

Supra, the 3G sim is distributed only in the CSC Centres? Not the usual shops which retail the other SIM cards? What all ID proofs do I need? If I were to take the photocopy of the landline phone bill from him, do I require any other ID proof? Should he come in person to the CSC centre by any chance? Asking this since he is one helluva busy guy! :ashamed:

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Jun 21, 2008
FL
usually from what i heard yeas. Atleast in TVM it is.

You need a Address/ID proof. Guess better to take ur landline bill. And a photo i guess. :S.

Supra

Skilled
Feb 10, 2005
^^ BSNL Bill as address proof, one ID proof say PAN/passport/DL xerox copy with DOB. Also 1 passport color photo. No need to go in person. You can tell you are taking the connection for ur boss :D

And ya available in CSC only where u pay BSNL bills and stuff :p

Btw I have become a BSNL 3G customer care nw :rofl:..everybody wants fast 3G internet and after we all start ripping torrents/rapidshare BSNL 3G speeds wil be 2KB/s ...dont come to me then :rofl:

varkey

Skilled
Sep 8, 2006
Bengaluru / Cochin
www.varkey.in
^ Its available in normal shops too, not only in CSCs.

If you do not have a local address proof, you can put the landlord as local reference and get the sim. Thats how I got mine. You will need the id/address proof the landlord and he has to sign and acknowledge that you are known to him. I'm not sure if his physical presense is required, as my friend was there with me when I got mine.

multi

Adept
Feb 11, 2007
I have feeling that some BSNL guys reading this thread & will slap FUP very soon on us :ashamed:

I have BSNL 3G card & Galaxy 3 , it's been working gr8 on phone , but my UL 750 plan is getting little disconnection issues very much this days so considering the data card way .:D

techno_guy

Skilled
Jul 2, 2010
multi said:
I have feeling that some BSNL guys reading this thread & will slap FUP very soon on us :ashamed:

I have BSNL 3G card & Galaxy 3 , it's been working gr8 on phone , but my UL 750 plan is getting little disconnection issues very much this days so considering the data card way .:D

this is bound to happen when all the promo and party for 3g launch gets over

Decan

Disciple
Apr 18, 2008
I have a query, sorry if it has been answered before. How does it work on roaming, especially for a Pune connection working in Mumbai? The offer on the website says free national data roaming, but in Mumbai it will be on the MTNL network so will there be some extra charges or if it will work at all? And can I get a connection in Pune with a Mumbai address proof?

sg3707

Adept
Nov 19, 2009
Dealing with BSNL is P.I.A. if things work the first time it is fine else we have to go post to post.

Since I did not have aunties number I went to the opice in person...

After 20 mins the CSC aunty who gave me sim responded and she took my number to check. After another 20 mins she gave me a new number and told me my mobile number got changed. WTF:mad::mad::huh: The reason was as usual some technical issue...

She said this new number will be activated within 1 or 2 hours.

After 1 Hr the BSNL uncle who was doing the recharge said his sim got corrupted and he is unable to do recharge. When I asked him how do I know if my sim is activated or not he said if you get 3g symbol on ur mobile then it is activated :( . That symbol was there since yesterday.

So after wasting around 2 hours I am unable to find if the sim is at least activated or not.

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Jun 21, 2008
FL
Decan said:
I have a query, sorry if it has been answered before. How does it work on roaming, especially for a Pune connection working in Mumbai? The offer on the website says free national data roaming, but in Mumbai it will be on the MTNL network so will there be some extra charges or if it will work at all? And can I get a connection in Pune with a Mumbai address proof?
Its not working in mumbai and delhi last week. a office colleague went to BITS Pilani. his exp.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

sg3707 said:
Dealing with BSNL is P.I.A. if things work the first time it is fine else we have to go post to post.

Since I did not have aunties number I went to the opice in person...

After 20 mins the CSC aunty who gave me sim responded and she took my number to check. After another 20 mins she gave me a new number and told me my mobile number got changed. WTF:mad::mad::huh: The reason was as usual some technical issue...

She said this new number will be activated within 1 or 2 hours.

After 1 Hr the BSNL uncle who was doing the recharge said his sim got corrupted and he is unable to do recharge. When I asked him how do I know if my sim is activated or not he said if you get 3g symbol on ur mobile then it is activated :( . That symbol was there since yesterday.

So after wasting around 2 hours I am unable to find if the sim is at least activated or not.
Its a govt company. what did u expect?. they work in their own time. They will never work to please others.

But the folks in my city are better, comparing to ones from cochin that is.

sg3707

Adept
Nov 19, 2009
ya..just now...tried calling 123 to reach customer care. when I pressed 0 it gave "Wrong Number" message. Comical

Then tried calling my other number then suddenly I got a message. Balance 0.00 blah blah.....

Maybe it connects to the network when we try dialing some number.

SpaceVoid

Adept
Mar 1, 2010
sg3707 said:
ya..just now...tried calling 123 to reach customer care. when I pressed 0 it gave "Wrong Number" message. Comical

Then tried calling my other number then suddenly I got a message. Balance 0.00 blah blah.....

Maybe it connects to the network when we try dialing some number.
Try calling it from some other number.If it receives you are all good. The sim has been activated. It shows balance 0 coz you havent recharged/top-up'ed it yet.

You wont be able to make a call since you have 0 talktime amount in it ..

Try doing net on it by using apn as "bsnlnet" in your connectivity settings.

Supra

Skilled
Feb 10, 2005
@sg3707-- Do a *123# ...if it shows zero balance it means sim is activated. Also try calling from another no to this BSNL sim , if u receive the call all is fine. try connecting to bsnlnet APN....by default the APN is set wrong to gprssouth which wont work...create a new profile with "bsnlnet" as APN restall default. Try connecting and browsing with ur browser. If that works no need to do an FRC also...plz confirm and post here if that works. After 7 days UL is over u can do a recharge if u need :p