BSNL 3G Thread

Supra said:
No disconnections for me...its like 300 KB/s for 15-20 sec...no data for 5 sec....again 300KB/s for 20 sec.....again no data xfer for 5 sec ! Signal also no issues....99% signal in mobile partner...downloads are fine with the spikes...its browsing which becomes a pain. Already given a complaint....will call up someone higher up tmr . Btw smnrock is not facing any problem like this and also few of my friends who are in the northern part of the city...so dunno what kind of problem is this ! I think it has to do with this new green power BTS(tower equipment) which powers down the signal strength etc a bit when overall activity is low ...they have configured it wrongly I guess :(
The same is happening with me on reliance 3G tested in mumbai.
I have counted the data its about 2.8mb data stream which goes on like crazy speed (max i got was 932KB/sec)
Then no data.
The idm starts reconnecting then again the huge spike of 93x KB/sec for 2-3 secs and then again zero.
Trying to see youtube stream for 72Op vids got easily streamed for about 33secs and then nothing.

Some what similar things happened with my Unlimited tata walky connection few years back.

The solution that worked for me was that I was continuously pinging a website like yahoo or google in a separate dos window using '-t' switch. That worked for me, don't know why and how.

I need a datacard (in Bangalore) desperately ..... someone spare one please :(

Currently i'm getting speeds between 20 to 320 KBps by hooking my cell to the netbook. Speed is very low in the daytime but gets lot better at night. Today morning I was getting 2.5 mbps.

Well you are still getting good speeds, i am getting very low speeds on my BSnl 3G and ADSL, browsing is very slow and ping times are high, dunno what is happening to BSNL networks, as earlier alteast the broadband was fast,now even that is crawling and working like dial up.

Which is 1st recharge we have to do after getting the new SIM? I want to try BSNL speed and service before jumping to 4200RC :p

Is the FRC120 is still valid, which get you one week unlimited downloads?

nfsnfs said:
3g is giving pathetic speeds.good I dint take 4200 plan .
Sry to hear that mate... it seems that over all BSNL is having a lot of issues in B'lore. Few others have also complained.

Its working fine for me <<TOUCHWOOD>>
But a strange thing was that I did my 4200 recharge on Friday morning.. and from that afternoon till date all the BSNL landlines in my area are dead.

I am also hoping that BSNL comes with some similiar good offer after 6 months... maybe at that time they may give a nice offer for 7.2mbps :)
But AFA private operators are concerned.. I dont expect anything good from them.... not even a real unlimited plan (with no FUP)

This fluctuating speeds in BLR is still continuing for several days now.. Cant browse at all.. :( Downloads are good though albeit with reduced speeds due to fluctuations.

The download thing though same as yours is improving at my side reliance 3g mumbai.
I think its got to do with the burn in of the equipment.
Also the spike thing i have reduced the no of connections for download in idm and increased the no of simultaneous downloads.
And have timed to resume the second file so that the data delivery stays constant and i get good speeds.
Got max speed of 1.218 MB/sec in mumbai.

^^ Is your reply to me?

It's nothing to do with the device. I shuttle between bangalore and chennai once or twice a week. In chennai the speeds are excellent and consistent. In bangalore its not the same. All with the same device and the same laptop.

Since the time i complained to BSNL regarding the issue with BSNL speed in my area in Aundh, Pune, they have called me thrice to convince me they are working on the issue and today they told me they have increased the resources in that area and now i should get better speeds. Can check only when i go back to Pune.

Bsnl 3G sims are selling like hot cakes. They are even giving away the Sim for free. By Jan next year we wont even get 512Kb on our 3G sims.

The same thing happened to BSNL EVDO. When I first got EVDO my speeds were between 1- 1.5Mbps. Slowly this thing started slowing down. Past few months speeds droped to 256K and on good days read - lucky days - speeds go up to 512Kb. Surrendring my EVDO soon. This thing sucks donkey B@ll$

And just a small heads up for you guys.
The local BSNL CSD is offering the 3.6mbps Modem for 2K and the 7.2Mbps modem for 2.5K
Even the IDEA 3G modem which sells at 1.7K can be unlocked and can be used with BSNL 3G. You dont need the best and fastest modem. Please dont think that using a faster modem will get you faster speeds.

He is referring to 3.6mbps & 7.2mbps as the modem Specifications not the speed of the connection :doh: ..
With the situation in Bangalore there is no point in going for a 7.2mbps.
Thanks for the headsup Sandy :)

I guess we should wait for 10-15 days for the iwebleaf modem to be launched by future bazaar which will be probably retailing for max 1300 rupees. It is capable of supporting upto 64 Mbps and costs almost half of the best bet available in market today like E122 and UMG 181.
Also i think if providers like DOCOMO and Reliance etc have 21 Mbps max (as of now) speeds, BSNL too would be upgrading their speeds to the same or even more which will result into better speeds may be.

Back