BSNL 3G Thread

Sandy said:
Bsnl 3G sims are selling like hot cakes. They are even giving away the Sim for free. By Jan next year we wont even get 512Kb on our 3G sims.

The same thing happened to BSNL EVDO. When I first got EVDO my speeds were between 1- 1.5Mbps. Slowly this thing started slowing down. Past few months speeds droped to 256K and on good days read - lucky days - speeds go up to 512Kb. Surrendring my EVDO soon. This thing sucks donkey B@ll$

And just a small heads up for you guys.
The local BSNL CSD is offering the 3.6mbps Modem for 2K and the 7.2Mbps modem for 2.5K
Even the IDEA 3G modem which sells at 1.7K can be unlocked and can be used with BSNL 3G. You dont need the best and fastest modem. Please dont think that using a faster modem will get you faster speeds.

for me in case of EVDO its reverse, I am getting better speeds off late since last 6 months. only thing I am pissed off is pathetic upload speeds, do you have any workarounds to better the uploads (because of it I cant use any private trackers).

Also EVDO modems have a sim card slots, will (if any ) CDMA operator launches sim card based 3G services, can our ZTE EVDO be unlocked??

the speeds wil go down as more people get more connections !

but yeah in my small town in CG the speed was really inconsistent , that must improve ! :)

Bsnl 3G sims are selling like hot cakes. They are even giving away the Sim for free. By Jan next year we wont even get 512Kb on our 3G sims.

Arre problem is not with the speed...even now lot of ppl are getting above 2-3 Mbps but problem in Bangalore is due to the spike and no data activity issue ! Its gng on for last 2 weeks almost. Users of Pune/Chennai/Kerela are having a blast. Btw BSNL 3G is here for almost last 1.5 yrs now so there wont be a huge craze anyway after Jan 31st.

Also tested the UMG 1831 with a Tata Docomo prepaid sim and in my house I am getting 99% HSPA+ signal (its HSPA+)...so TATA docomo has at least deployed 21 Mbps network for sure in Bangalore....cant check speed as I m not in a 3G data pack :(...on the other hand with BSNL 3G sim it shows up as HSPA BSNL Mobile(for Docomo its HSPA+ Tata Docomo)

Also why should we get a 3.6 Mbps modem (where no HSUPA support and is limited to 384kbps upload) for Rs 1700~1800. Spend Rs 2800 and get the UMG 1831 and be ready from now itself for the future upgrades. Also no one will buy the BSNL 3.6 Mbps or the Idea ones for even 500 bucks later. They will be as good as junk. Even the BSNL 2.5k triband modem is good as it supports downloads of 7.2 mbps and uploads of upto 2 Mbps :)....stay away from 3.6 Mbps Idea/BSNL modems with no HSUPA support just for the sake of 800 bucks !

As of the iWebleaf add Big Baazar margins of 50% due to branding cost, support, warranty etc :p...still anything below Rs 2000 will be awesome for that device :)

I feel once this plan ends they will come up with something else, as 6 months is a long time, also by that time there will be many other players with plans in the market.

^ i dont think so ... no one besides BSNL can offer that good speed without FUP!!

IF BSNL comes back again with smiler offer after 6 months Bless them! ( they sure should work on the quality though , as in my town the signal strength is not that great :( )

Still the spike issue continues in bangalore :(. Its stable for some time and spike starts and again stable for sometime... like this its going. But in any case during morning time speed is 6Mbps approx.. just completed one 700 MB DVDRip in 22 mins :). BTW bsnl 3G in bangalore is 14 Mbps support i guess :p, atleast this is what MDMA says when using with UMG1831. Here is the spike isssue...

bsnl3g.png

I am facing disconnections as soon as some transfer takes place.Single threaded transfers by using the inbuilt downloader at 40-50KB/s runs fine but segmented downloading at speeds of 2mbps or lower stalls the connection.Tried installing netlimiter to limit the speed but it still disconnects after few seconds of transfer.

The graphs are at 250,200,150,100,50 resply. The gap in between is the disconnection and automatic redial attempt.

uyPjQ.jpg

bigbyte said:
It's high time that MTNL mumbai comes up with an equally attractive 3G plan.
This may be the first time BSNL has brought better plans than MTNL. I think you can purchase a BSNL 3G from out of Mumbai and use it there as they dont charge roaming... not even on data usage. Though guys in Mumbai have so many options that I really envy them..... 10Mbps at 6000p.a or the new tariffs from Honesty Net... Mumbai has many options.....

bigbyte said:
It's high time that MTNL mumbai comes up with an equally attractive 3G plan.
Why should they? Do they have any competition in this space?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

onlyravi said:
This may be the first time BSNL has brought better plans than MTNL. I think you can purchase a BSNL 3G from out of Mumbai and use it there as they dont charge roaming... not even on data usage. Though guys in Mumbai have so many options that I really envy them..... 10Mbps at 6000p.a or the new tariffs from Honesty Net... Mumbai has many options.....
These so called unbelievable internet plans are available only in small pockets of the small city:mad: . So do not take it as available everywhere in mumbai.

Back