Graphic Cards GPU pricing trends

Me: Mom I want an Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti.
Mom: But son, we already have an Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti at home.
*the RTX 2080 Ti at home* :hilarious:
227853250_536936897513516_3735788266841956195_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reason for sale: Financial problem of a friend.
"If a person has a financial problem then that item/ graphic card is sold as a distress price 10-15% off the market or billing price but sometimes people are trying to sell it at 10-15% profit. What kind of reasoning is this?
Looks like currently gpu has given some tough fight to gold and real estate. Its better to buy few 3090s rather than investing in gold and houses! And yes forgot to add kidneys livers brains and xyz organs which now carry lesser value than gpus..:p

Well although the rewards for mining are now less due to EIP-1559 but the price of ETH has gone up since the London fork making even LHR cards moderately profitable.
It's not that, some alt coins are now more profitable than eth for most cards and since LHR cards are only limited in ETH mining they're good for other coins mining. It's just temporary because if more miners turn to other coins their profitability will drop hard and fast.

It's not that, some alt coins are now more profitable than eth for most cards and since LHR cards are only limited in ETH mining they're good for other coins mining. It's just temporary because if more miners turn to other coins their profitability will drop hard and fast.
end of day no company cares,if they are going to make more money they wont care about sacrificing use base. LHR limitation is for namesake.If they actually cared they could have limited it to alt coins.

Wanted to play msfs now have to wait for cards to come back down to normal pricing.even 3 year used 1080's are expensive af

Ya amd's new 6600xt is the new rx 580 with half the power draw. I can already see miners buying it bulk in FB groups.
this sucks.also what fb groups can you please dm i want to join to buy second hand stuff. also trying to get my hands on a 2060 super around 20k or a 1080ti. i had a gtx 970 but i sold it since work took time and now that i have time i cant buy a gpu without paying ridiculous prices.

I have read this entire thread over a week...and now completely confused.
What's causing the shortage? Miners? Problems in production chain?
Why are you guys trying to upgrade? For newer games/ mining?
We have a few bitcoin ATMs in this city ( Praha/ Prague) One is very close to the city centre and drive by it everyday, never saw a single person there.
My wife drives a Tesla and I've been to their showroom few times. They do have a bitcoin station, I was very curious about it...but it's just one young woman with a computer. No one goes to her...I even asked about her duties/ responsibilities...she just gave a sweet and very polite smile.

I have read this entire thread over a week...and now completely confused.
What's causing the shortage? Miners? Problems in production chain?
Why are you guys trying to upgrade? For newer games/ mining?
We have a few bitcoin ATMs in this city ( Praha/ Prague) One is very close to the city centre and drive by it everyday, never saw a single person there.
My wife drives a Tesla and I've been to their showroom few times. They do have a bitcoin station, I was very curious about it...but it's just one young woman with a computer. No one goes to her...I even asked about her duties/ responsibilities...she just gave a sweet and very polite smile.
The pandemic did hit the supply chain but also delayed a lot of the plans aimed at setting up new production facilities. At the same time, demand went north on account of people working from home and using much more electronic devices. Car demand went down and then shot up steeply. All existing facilities are overbooked and new ones will take time to come online as it is a very resource intensive industry.

I wouldn't comment on mining and scalping as those people represent the worst of humanity.

I wouldn't comment on mining and scalping as those people represent the worst of humanity.
Thanks, but please answer my last 2 questions?
What is scalping in noob friendly language?
Why miners and scalpers are hated so much? Are these activities illegal ( theft of some kind?)
I thought scalping is some kind of trading.

Thanks, but please answer my last 2 questions?
Why miners and scalpers are hated so much? Are these activities illegal ( theft of some kind?)
In an ideal world distributor gets GPU from manufacturer at xxx price and distributor sells it to retailers for xxx+y price and retailers sell it to consumers for xxx+y+z price.

Now these GPUs have always been used for mining since ages but what happened now is Corona which caused chip shortage and add to that crypto skyrocketed which made mining so much profitable than before hence the demand from miners increased a lot. This crunch caused the inflated prices of GPUs. In other countries "scalpers" or middleman use bots and stuff to buy the GPU stock at normal price/current price (not sure) and sell it at inflated prices.

The problem in India is there's not many big miners like other countries but stating demand and supply issues as a reason the distributors here have increased the prices which they sell to retailers and in return the retailers have increased their profit margin which together means a huge price increase. In short the distributors/retailers/resellers are playing scalping here.

Yes it is trading, where people trade Humanity for Greed!
Buy things at their normal price by luck, through connections or bribing, then sell them at inflated prices for a huge profit. Basically a worse form of trader/Broker.

Local retailer at vashi "Was his WhatsApp status today"
WhatsApp Image 2021-08-11 at 14.39.58.jpeg

And he is one of the smaller dealers.

Thanks a lot guys, think I kind of understand the situation now.
But this greed is everywhere nowadays. Didn't we see similar things during oxygen crisis in India just a couple of months ago?
I know of a person in Kolkata who has stockpiled oxygen cylinders and did a puja and hawan ( the prayer with fire thing..don't know what's it in English/ in Czech we call it havan...yes some powerful and rich Hindu families living here too for generations!!) basically praying for another spike so Goddess Lakshmi can come to his family!!!
I watched parts of it through Zoom meeting. It's sickening...human greed....

In an ideal world distributor gets GPU from manufacturer at xxx price and distributor sells it to retailers for xxx+y price and retailers sell it to consumers for xxx+y+z price.

Now these GPUs have always been used for mining since ages but what happened now is Corona which caused chip shortage and add to that crypto skyrocketed which made mining so much profitable than before hence the demand from miners increased a lot. This crunch caused the inflated prices of GPUs. In other countries "scalpers" or middleman use bots and stuff to buy the GPU stock at normal price/current price (not sure) and sell it at inflated prices.

The problem in India is there's not many big miners like other countries but stating demand and supply issues as a reason the distributors here have increased the prices which they sell to retailers and in return the retailers have increased their profit margin which together means a huge price increase. In short the distributors/retailers/resellers are playing scalping here.
distributors need to be taken to court for a cleaning.Just like these people took amazon to. These retailers are the most vile of the lot.i am going to personally write to nvidia india hq a letter about this.A physical typed letter by registered speed post

Yes it is trading, where people trade Humanity for Greed!

Buy things at their normal price by luck, through connections or bribing, then sell them at inflated prices for a huge profit. Basically a worse form of trader/Broker.

Local retailer at vashi "Was his WhatsApp status today"
View attachment 111574
And he is one of the smaller dealers.
who even wants to buy msi gpu's given their shitty rma.

Whats more disheartening is the price of second hand GPU's where people are selling there age old out of warranty cards for more than or same price what they bought few years back. Cards like 1660, 1650, that cost ~20k were sold for 35~40k and we are talking about second hand market. These aren't flagship cards which gives 60FPS on all games so majority of gamers were hit. I have 1060 3gb and wanted to upgrade so just imagine if in case this gpu dies today I will be left with no other option then to spend a double the price of what the actual product cost forget the cards I was eyeing to upgrade to. @quaratineinthesejeans

One GPU meme was all it took to get the thread title and section changed. Thanks mods, having a slow day?

Back