Graphic Cards Graphic card buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.. i did read about that in some forums.. and its quite a relief to know it wont be that significant .. ooh so i can go for higher resolutions right?.. nice! so can u suggest me a mobo/processor combo.. a good 1 bt cheap aswell? also .. hw much for the 1 gig version of HD 5670? and also what is HD 4850 priced at nowadays?

thanks

apocalypsepwnz said:
First thing's first.. many congrats to ragzdiablo for starting this thread .. i have been looking helter skelter for advices for a graphics card and now i have found this awesome forum.. well now 2 tha issue @ hand .. ( argh! i did copy the template.. ya here it is)
What is your budget?: 7 - 7.5 K's
Current rig Specs: Errm. a really sad 1, nonetheless .. ASUS MX-M2N SE// AMD ATHLON X2 64 2.4 Ghz // 2 GB Transcend RAM // Generic CRT Monitor // 250 gigs of HDD (planning to upgrade shortly) //
Which PSU/SMPS will you be using?: Currently have iBall 400W (Default) , will buy Corsair VX 450 for the card//
Primary use?: Casual gaming/ Hardcore gaming
What resolution do you game on? with the integrated Nvidia 8150 on the motherboard was happy with 800x600 @ <30 fps but with the new card preferably >= 1280x1024 and >30 fps
Interested in Crossfire/SLI? Hmm.. One of my major concerns, i have a PCI-e 1.1 slot ( i do hope so) and im looking to buy a card supporting 2.0 .. will that: wont work at all/ hamper the card's performance?
Open to both Nvidia/ATI?: Preferably the red brigade.. have my eyes on Alpha Tango india , Hotel Delta 5-6-7-0 ( Ati HD 4670 :p ..DX 11 for future proofing ) and will XFX be the best?

And where to get the best deal @ nehru place?

Kindly advice.

If you are planning to upgrade your system shortly..
I'd say dont go for the card now..
its better you wait..
Nvidia's midrange will get more entry level products..
which will be right on your budget..and there will be a price war too...

so till the time you have planned your upgrade..
youll be having more options at very good prices..

so, better to wait..get your whole system revved up together..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

OverlorD said:
@Funky: He would have to change the mobo too, since its an AM2 board. Athlon II doesn't run on AM2. :p
Add another 4-5k for the mobo and for 15k you get a fairly futureproof system.
Not just the mobo..RAM too...
getting a new mobo with DDR2 instead of DDR3 is stupidity..

err.. no idea how u do that cool highlighting stuff :p so replying in plain text. :D

Many thanks for the advice there.. well for full upgrade, shortly didnt mean "thaaat" shortly, mayyybe next year itself, or i'd be buying in bits and chunks *dreams distantly*.. kudos :hap2: to your advice bro and i do see that you are talking sense and want to save me some money.. bt its just that im going back home and i needed the card for the vacation :)

So what do u suggest .. a Shiny 5670 or a Rugged HD 4850?(1 GBs) and where can i find the best deal for an XFX in Nehru place? :cool2:

apocalypsepwnz said:
err.. no idea how u do that cool highlighting stuff :p so replying in plain text. :D

Many thanks for the advice there.. well for full upgrade, shortly didnt mean "thaaat" shortly, mayyybe next year itself, or i'd be buying in bits and chunks *dreams distantly*.. kudos :hap2: to your advice bro and i do see that you are talking sense and want to save me some money.. bt its just that im going back home and i needed the card for the vacation :)

So what do u suggest .. a Shiny 5670 or a Rugged HD 4850?(1 GBs) and where can i find the best deal for an XFX in Nehru place? :cool2:

I see youll be getting a VX 450 to run them, so no issues power wise..
youll be gaming on 1280x1024 reso...so both will run games flawlessly on that ..

Id say get a rugged HD 4850 if you are getting a card in good condition and near price of 4k..
if not..
get a shiny HD 5670 512 mb ~5.2k..it will satisfy your needs..
and nothing like opening a brand new card..

moreover, if you plan to sell your purchase soon enough..youll get a better resale value for the HD 5670..

For buying it from NP..
i usually suggest SMC ...
check their website..call them up and ask them if they have it..:)

ragzdiablo said:
I see youll be getting a VX 450 to run them, so no issues power wise..
youll be gaming on 1280x1024 reso...so both will run games flawlessly on that ..

Id say get a rugged HD 4850 if you are getting a card in good condition and near price of 4k..
if not..
get a shiny HD 5670 512 mb ~5.2k..it will satisfy your needs..
and nothing like opening a brand new card..

moreover, if you plan to sell your purchase soon enough..youll get a better resale value for the HD 5670..

For buying it from NP..
i usually suggest SMC ...
check their website..call them up and ask them if they have it..:)
Thanx so much mate.. as i matter of fact i did visit nehru place today and went to cost to cost/ Lapcom/ SMC International.. they quoted as follows:
Corsair VX 450 -> 3800/- INR (for both SMC and Lapcom) ;)

XFX HD 5670 (1 GB) - 5790/- INR .. (C2C) :clap:

MSI HD 5670 (1 GB) - 6100/- INR (SMC International) :S

Also enquired at SMC:

Razer Vespula - 1900/- :(

Razer Goliathus - 900/- INR :)

Microsoft X360 Gamepad for Windows - 1400/- :eek:hyeah:

SteelSeries Siberia - 3500/- INR :hap2:

Hope this helps smbuddy..

Thanx a lot..

Cheers~! :cool2:

The non platinum ones? Barely, i mean it will run for now but in the long run it may cause problems. So make sure u are ready to deal with the warranty thingies before deciding to go with it.

^ 450 sata plus is not a safe PSU to run any card..
i think its available for around 500 bucks...so you can imagine what sorts of parts are used to make it..

Dont change your card according to your PSU...
HD5670, HD5570...all will run on that psu..but its not safe at all..
and it wont make any difference if you get HD5570 instead of a HD 5670..

Get a better PSU..
a FSP SAGA 400w ~ 2k
or
FSP SAGA 350w ~ 1.6..if low on budget..
:)

Yet another 5770 Question:

MSI hawk or, Sapphire Vapor-X? I wanted the MSI HAWk one, but it isn't available anywhere I inquired. last time I checked, it was around the same price in two different online shops.

I was also inclined to buying a a gtx 460 or a 5850, but I fear my Coolermaster extreme power duo 600 will handle it. I've heard some bad reviews about this psu.

Kalopsia said:
Yet another 5770 Question:

MSI hawk or, Sapphire Vapor-X? I wanted the MSI HAWk one, but it isn't available anywhere I inquired. last time I checked, it was around the same price in two different online shops.

I was also inclined to buying a a gtz 460, but I fear my Coolermaster extreme power pro600 will handle it. I've heard some bad reviews abut this psu.
You should change your power supply no matter which card you get..

Its an overrated and low performance PSU, it doesnt make sense to get a 10k gfx card and keep it on risk everytime you use it..

use the template provided and we can help you get the right PSU and GPU according to your needs.. :)

I would like buy a good graphic to game in my new pc. i would like to play games like GTA 4, Crysis, Call of duty, Supreme Commander 2, Dawn of war 2, Dawn of discovery and the list goes on but mainly GTA 4

1. What is your budget?
8k-10k

2. Current rig Specs
CPU
Core i3 530 2.93 ghz

Motherboard
Intel® Desktop Board DH55PJ

RAM
4 GB

Monitor
Compaq CQ1569

3. Which PSU/SMPS will you be using?
I really dunno where to see this but in bill it says PC tech cabinet with SMPS:S

4. Primary use? (Casual gaming, Hardcore gaming, Just for display, Movies/HTPC)
Hardcore gaming, HD movies

5. What resolution do you game on?
1366x768

6. Interested in Crossfire/SLI?
I really dunno abt this:S

7. Open to both Nvidia/ATI?
Yes

^^ check the psu inside the cabinet. On the side of the power supply unit the rating would be mentioned. By the bill i am judging you don't have a decent psu to drive 8-10k cards. Upgrade your psu as well

If u can increase your budget to 12-13k get corsair vx450 ~ 3.7k + msi 5770 hawk ~ 9.3k

@shankar

get HD 5670@5.3k

more than enough for your resolution!

if you can get a FSP 400w smps @2k

@wingzero

i think HD 5770 would be an overkill for the resolution shankar wants to play at

Id go with wingzero's suggestion...get a HD 5770 and a Corsair VX 450..
after you get these...
plan on a monitor upgrade..
you seem interested in hardcore gaming and HD movies..
how do you plan on doing that ..on that resolution..

Get a good 22 incher..available for 8k these days..
and then your experience will be far lot better..

You may have difficulties running very high demanding games at 1920x1080 with a HD 5770..
but it will surely be better than 1366x768..
moreover..the HD movie experience will just amazing..

Mephistopheles said:
If you dont have a budget for both VX450 and 5770, consider CX400, Seasonic 380W, Gigabyte Superb 460W in decreasing order of preference
cx 400 or seasonic 380 is just fine for 5770, plz note: i am running a 5770 and a gts 250 on a 450 vx without any prob!!

Hey ragzdiablo n funkysourav, sorry guys i couldnt reply as i was busy wid my admission purposes..!!

well guys im not lookin to upgrade my mobo neither my processor and nor my ram..!! cos at the moment they are serving me absolutely fine..

the only problem that arrises is that of the graphics..

so im planing to change my psu.. and go for a new gpu..

so as ragzdiablo suggested me to go for the gtx 250 and FSP SAGA 400w as its bettter than all of these HD4850>9800gt>HD5670>>>9500gt>8600gt..!!

my only doubts left is..

1) is there any thing else that is better in the same range to go for..??

If not then..

1) what problems will i face for the future Directx 11 games.. cos the gts250 isnt directx11 ready..!!

2) ragzdiablo you told me to hold my purchase for sumtime as nvidia is plannin to offer price cuts.. so till when should i hold my purchase..!! :)

3) at what resloution will i be able to game at.. i mostly play the ea Fifa series..!! (will i be able to game comfortably without lagging if i keep all the settings on high)

4) and will a gtx250, 512mb will handle all this at ease right..?? (cos then i wont be uprgading for a gpu for the next 5yrs :p)

sorry for the trouble & Thank You..!!

kaunkaun said:
Hey ragzdiablo n funkysourav, sorry guys i couldnt reply as i was busy wid my admission purposes..!!
well guys im not lookin to upgrade my mobo neither my processor and nor my ram..!! cos at the moment they are serving me absolutely fine..
the only problem that arrises is that of the graphics..
so im planing to change my psu.. and go for a new gpu..

so as ragzdiablo suggested me to go for the gtx 250 and FSP SAGA 400w as its bettter than all of these HD4850>9800gt>HD5670>>>9500gt>8600gt..!!

my only doubts left is..
1) is there any thing else that is better in the same range to go for..??

If not then..
1) what problems will i face for the future Directx 11 games.. cos the gts250 isnt directx11 ready..!!
2) ragzdiablo you told me to hold my purchase for sumtime as nvidia is plannin to offer price cuts.. so till when should i hold my purchase..!! :)
3) at what resloution will i be able to game at.. i mostly play the ea Fifa series..!! (will i be able to game comfortably without lagging if i keep all the settings on high)
4) and will a gtx250, 512mb will handle all this at ease right..?? (cos then i wont be uprgading for a gpu for the next 5yrs :p)

sorry for the trouble & Thank You..!!

You wont face any problems with DX11 games...you can simply run them on DX10..
and thats not bad also..because mainstream DX 11 cards..like HD 5750..although having DX11..wont be able to perform well on it..

5 years is a long time...a new DX 11 card wont even last for more than 2.5 years..
upcoming games are getting better and demanding day by day...
dont expect any present card to stand for 5 years...

FIFA will be a piece of cake for this card...even on Full HD..
no worries at all..
and it will be able to play the latest games at good settings on around 1600x900 resolution.. Full HD will be tough for the latest and upcoming games..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back