Sony PS Vita - Discussion Thread

dhruvrock2000 said:
Well actually over the last 2 iterations or so.. Gaming has been a major focus of the iPhone and especially the iPod touch.. maximum sales on the Apple Store are from the games. Half the apps shown off during the demonstrations of their new products are games... So its not much of a stretch to compare the two.

Also bring in the fact that the growing sales of the iPod Touch n iPhone have directly resulted in decreasing sales of the portable consoles.... this time around Nintendo has focussed on a gimmick which is still in its infancy and so i don't foresee as long a product lifespan as on the previous models.

Sony on the otherhand has maybe done an overkill and has fitted their console with all possible inputs thereby futureproofing their console. With time developers will realise the full potential of this... expect atleast a 4year lifespan for this. I'm shaving off 2 years from the life of the old PSP because technology is improving at a faster pace now.

/rant

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

PS : i think i went really OT in my last post.... so to sum it up... they're all cool in their own domains and NGP FTW !!!

The iPhone managed to grab a large section of the gaming market largely due to the fact that it gained recognition as a viable gaming platform at a time when the PSP entered the final quarter of its EOL phase from a h/w perspective and also due to the decline in developer support. Sony's NGP will surely and steadily if not rapidly grab a big chunk of the portable/handheld gaming market.

dhruvrock2000 said:
Well actually over the last 2 iterations or so.. Gaming has been a major focus of the iPhone and especially the iPod touch.. maximum sales on the Apple Store are from the games. Half the apps shown off during the demonstrations of their new products are games... So its not much of a stretch to compare the two.

Also bring in the fact that the growing sales of the iPod Touch n iPhone have directly resulted in decreasing sales of the portable consoles.... this time around Nintendo has focussed on a gimmick which is still in its infancy and so i don't foresee as long a product lifespan as on the previous models.

Sony on the otherhand has maybe done an overkill and has fitted their console with all possible inputs thereby futureproofing their console. With time developers will realise the full potential of this... expect atleast a 4year lifespan for this. I'm shaving off 2 years from the life of the old PSP because technology is improving at a faster pace now.

/rant

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

PS : i think i went really OT in my last post.... so to sum it up... they're all cool in their own domains and NGP FTW !!!
yeah most downloads is related to games. sure. but thats because its their populer fearure, there is a differenc between fearure and function.
the iphone already has music player video player and phone.

you know how many downloads will be there if sony decides to and Phone feature to PSP2 (i call it feature cause 3g model is already there) . 99% (of the compatible PSP2s)

Although both can be used for gaming there is a basic diff in the kinds of games offered by two:-- psp offers lengthy games that one can play in office(if you work in a govt sector) or when you got a lotta spare time.iphone offers quick pick up and play games that you can play while waiting for the bus.iOS offers innovative fun games for a buck or so which you can enjoy for a 4-5 days and then move on.psp on the on the other hand mostly offers portable versions of the games already out on consoles---games with better gfx but not always that innovative as nintendo or iOS games.While at home nothin beats my ps3 but i prefer iOS games more than psp games while on the go.Not saying they are better , just i enjoy them more.

strategy said:
Iphone 5 or any other phone is not meant for just gaming even the apple ( and others ) acknowledge that. why are YOU pitting them against each other , if they wanted to create a gaming portable they would name it iplay ( or something ), gaming is just an added feature on the phones, not the main feature.

before bashing the other product atleast make sure they are in smiler category.

this comparison was pointless. :(
it's not just meant for gaming, agreed.

but one of it's BIG ASPECTS is GAMING..

No wonder it's rumoured to have a PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU.

FYI PSP2 has the PowerVR SGX543MP4 GPU(it's 2 v/s 4 cores).. Expect next iPhone(who knows maybe with 3D, i mean iPhone 6) to overtake both 3DS and PSP2 in hardware and support(app store) terms.

comp@ddict said:
No wonder it's rumoured to have a PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU.

FYI PSP2 has the PowerVR SGX543MP4 GPU(it's 2 v/s 4 cores).. Expect next iPhone(who knows maybe with 3D, i mean iPhone 6) to overtake both 3DS and PSP2 in hardware and support(app store) terms.

What did you want to tell me by saying this !:S

yeah i know the current iphone / ipod has better hardware compared to PSP , so what !?

its internal hardware you are talking about here, what about exterior?

if its a gaming device it must be easy to play games on it. it must be ergonomic for playing games,

you know why touch keyboards are not used ( remember that projection keyboards) , cause it does not feel that one is pressing a button.

Physical buttons are a must for any gaming console.

Rumble is also important , but sadly not possible on a portable. (battery, discs, etc.)

SOny had to learnt this the hard way when they did not include duelshok in the sixaxis controller with PS3. (initially)

Move, kinnect, etc. are great . but even after 10 years from now we will still be playing FPS, RTS, RPGs, etc. using a controller/keyboard.

What did you want to tell me by saying this !

yeah i know the current iphone / ipod has better hardware compared to PSP , so what !?

its internal hardware you are talking about here, what about exterior?

if its a gaming device it must be easy to play games on it. it must be ergonomic for playing games,

umm, i think touchscreen and motion senson has BLOODY WELL PROVED itself... No wonder PSP2 also has a touch screen and motion sensor, with games using both touch screen and motion sensor.

And remember, titles like Battlefield have HIT the iPhone. Wont take long to port the entirety with near equivalent hardware on to these phones(especially for 4" range phones)

Touchscreen and tilt-motion gaming can never match the tactility of analogs and keypads.

I think someone here had mentioned a feature vs function argument .. which is the best way to describe the competition here.

Smart phones have a gaming 'feature' .. quite similarly PC have a gaming 'feature'.

Although PCs are a still better option in comparison but the existence of PCs hasn't brought about the end of consoles which still flourish because gaming is their primary 'function'.

Touch + Tilt will open up avenues for RTS gaming on the NGP, which as of now is perhaps the most advanced gaming console in terms of features.

Sony doesn't discount the Smartphone gaming segment and already has the PSP phone lined up to take on the competition there.

The NGP is in a different league all together.

Just imagine the convergence that is possible for Sony -> PC + Console + Portable + Smartphone.

No other company can boast of such penetration.

SONY FTW .. :D

The NGP is in a different league all together.

yeah u got that right.

btw Global Foundaries just announced that customers for their 28nm process are developing a rumoured multi-core(maybe quad) 3GHz ARM processor.

The NGP running Uncharted!

[youtube]WBnwIKSvR2Q[/youtube]

VG247 said:
You can use the touch screens to make Nathan climb, jump, and all other sorts of neat stuff. A slide of the finger makes him climb a rope, touching the back screen makes him slide down the rope.

Button prompts help him fight a bit, and when he is jumping onto the edge of a cliff and looking down, turning the thumb sticks to look around really makes you feel as if you are indeed on the edge of said cliff. It was rather vertigo inducing.

GDC: NGP panel showcases new Uncharted footage, more | VG247

Damn thing even has augmented reality implementation! Will buy this portable device for SURE! Was never interested in handheld gaming before. I think this device is just going to change the way people played games on a handheld. Heck it is just not a handheld console! :p

What if: Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 on NGP

The third versions of EA’s Battlefield and Mass Effect series were only announced for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. Now it looks like we’re going to get some of the action on handheld devices as EA states. Details are scarce as the developer lists “handheld/mobile†versions of the upcoming games and this could mean another IPhone game and even an Android game. But with Nintendo’s recently released 3DS and Sony’s NGP to release around the same time as these games, it would make sense that EA are planning to bring the sure-to-be hit games to the dedicated handheld powerhouse of the NGP and the 3D capable 3DS. You can imagine the possibilities.

We will see what happens by Q4 2011 and Q1 2012 when the games are set to release. EA might even reveal something at E3 in June, so stay tuned to get the latest news on the NGP and these games.

Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 headed to Nintendo 3DS, Sony NGP? - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

So can I shout YAY?

Re: What if: Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 on NGP

Here's what's in my mind:

1. crysis 2(CE3 already supports iOS)

2. BF3

3. ME3

If these make it to NGP, I think for college NGP would be a better idea than a gaming laptop.

NGP getting DOWNGRADE treatment (weeps)

NGP Specs Downgraded, 2011 Release in Japan

According to 01.net's information, non-3G models of the NGP will be priced competitively with the 3DS. Meaning we can expect that the low-end model will cost around $250-$300. In order to reach that price window some sacrifices had to be made. While earlier reports pegged the new handheld as sporting 512MB of RAM, the newest information suggests that Sony has cut that number in half to 256MB. In order to compensate for the loss, the company reduced the size of the OS footprint in memory. 26MB of the 256 is high-speed RAM that can be used for certain tasks that require quicker access to system memory. The 128MB of graphics memory are still in place; however the planned 16GB of internal flash memory have been removed in favor of cheaper external storage.

So in the dist-bin we have:
1. Half the RAM
2. Internal Memory Storage(I wouldn't bother for more than 2-4GB anyways, games wont need installation as SONY mentioned)

Rumor: NGP Specs Downgraded, 2011 Release in Japan

Early reports had suggested that the NGP would feature 512MB of RAM and 16GB of flash memory, but the rumour states that the cost of implementing those specs may push the RRP of the device above and beyond what Sony believe to be competitive. The 128MB of graphics memory remains but, if true, this could be a blow for those expecting more from the NGP from a technical standpoint.

Rumour – Is Sony Cutting The NGP’s RAM In Half? | Kotaku Australia
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Thoughts:

Well, the RAM makes sense, if the PS3 and X360 can run at 256MB system ram and 256MB VRAM, I think the NGP can surely be tweaked(both games and OS) to suffice with 256/512MB RAM instead of 1GB(if that makes NGP cheaper!)

And as for the VRAM, I think 256MB VRAM would have been idea, but why I see 128MB as not bad:

1. games will run on lower resolution, i.e. 960x540 v/s 1280x720
2. smaller texture size, lesser vram load

and ofcourse, if the game developers use oculling like they do in the consoles (not in PCs, unoptimized bastard games), then I dont see 128MB as a hinderer to play PS3 games on the NGP.

I'm looking forward to these games(wish they come) on NGP:

1. BF3
2. COD
3. ME3
4. Killzone
5. Resistance
6. Crysis 2

Re: NGP getting DOWNGRADE treatment (weeps)

stalker said:
What exactly is this oculling you talk about?
WHatever is not in view of the player, it's offloaded from the VRAM(ofcourse not immediate vicinity, but suppose say a prop behind a big box and you cant see the box, w/o occuling the prop will continue to be rendered, hence, performance hit for no reason.

but if occuling is off, then there wont be say a slight drop in fps or something when you go around the box and see that hidden prop

Consoles use aggressive propping to accommodate in that measly 256MB VRAM. PC doesn't get that treatment, hence you often see Crysis 2 running out of VMem at 2560 resolutions(called poor optimization)

Firstly, it's called occlusion culling.

Occlusion culling doesnt have as much to do with vram usage as it has to do with reducing the compute load on a gpu. In simple terms, you ignore any geometry that isn't going to be visible.

Secondly, this is one of the most basic optimization techniques for computer graphics. It happens to be one of the first basic performance enhancement techniques taught to anyone learning computer graphics.

What makes you think pc games don't use occlusion culling?

You might want to do some basic math and understand that ridiculous accounts of vram are a necessity to achieve super high resolutions with other post processing effects. It is not a question of optimizations not being done.

Also, pc hardware is diverse. There are 3 major consoles these days, it is way way easier to perform any form of optimization when the target environment is known, as is the case with consoles. graphics for the pc platform has to be written through a much higher level api to maintain generality than what is needed in case of consoles.

Sent from my SCH-I50

Re: NGP getting DOWNGRADE treatment (weeps)

occlusion culling.

sorry i use the terms together

Occlusion culling doesnt have as much to do with vram usage as it has to do with reducing the compute load on a gpu. In simple terms, you ignore any geometry that isn't going to be visible.

but if the textures aren't loaded, wont that reduce VMEM usage?

Back