Car & Bike The car thread ......

Well a 1.2 L engine properly maintained and with MT generally gives around 12 with AC in cities like Delhi and around 14 or so without ac.

I seldom go pout of Delhi so never measured the average on highway .

My Ritz gives this much.
That's mostly true for only Maruti cars. You should ask Fiat, Honda or VW owners and you will be surprised.

Is putting CNG in an automatic car a bad idea? My bother owned Honda City automatic (bought 2nd hand) and he got CNG installed and he told he heard it is not a good idea to use CNG in automatic and he himself says the car gave him "kharcha". He has sold the car few days back.

We were considering a 2009 Hyundai i10 Automatic and I suggested we put CNG in it but he told me not a good idea.

That's mostly true for only Maruti cars. You should ask Fiat, Honda
Not really, Ford EcoSport 1.5L 6 speed TC Auto gives 12-12.5 kmpl in Mumbai city with regular traffic and ac 100% on all the time. Gives 15-18 kmpl on highways, depending on how aggressive and at what speed one is.

The new Mercedes GLA AMG 35 4MATIC SUV is so so juicy at 70 lakh on road... who's driving one home???

It's a CKD kit so a little VFM if it can be called that.

Not really, Ford EcoSport 1.5L 6 speed TC Auto gives 12-12.5 kmpl in Mumbai city with regular traffic and ac 100% on all the time. Gives 15-18 kmpl on highways, depending on how aggressive and at what speed one is.
Maybe I drive with a heavier foot or just the cars I drove were older and heavier like Fiat Palio. I loved my sister's A-star for most runs including highways - used to give 18 in city and 22-23 on highways.

Is putting CNG in an automatic car a bad idea? My bother owned Honda City automatic (bought 2nd hand) and he got CNG installed and he told he heard it is not a good idea to use CNG in automatic and he himself says the car gave him "kharcha". He has sold the car few days back.

We were considering a 2009 Hyundai i10 Automatic and I suggested we put CNG in it but he told me not a good idea.
After market kits are not great. Would suggest against it. Rather sell the car and buy one with factory installed CNG

My bother owned Honda City automatic (bought 2nd hand) and he got CNG installed and he told he heard it is not a good idea to use CNG in automatic and he himself says the car gave him "kharcha". He has sold the car few days back.
I've heard good about Honda City CVT with CNG, gives decent fuel efficiency. What 'kharcha' are you talking about?

I've heard good about Honda City CVT with CNG, gives decent fuel efficiency. What 'kharcha' are you talking about?

I have zero knowledge about cars and I don't know how to drive one (but have driven in US). I will ask him if the expenses were related to Automatic + CNG combination or if the car itself had other nagging issues. The Honda city we had was not CVT. I don't know what year car it was. I think 2012 version.

Is buying a 12 year old i10 automatic (48K run...I have doubts about this number) and putting CNG a good idea?

I am pretty sure this is a known thing but never trust when buying 2nd hand cars. My brother recently sold his 130000 Kms Honda city (he too bought used few years back) to a dealer.
We saw the same car listed on olx for about 90K more price than what we sold for and Kms mentioned as 85000.

I am pretty sure this is a known thing but never trust when buying 2nd hand cars. My brother recently sold his 130000 Kms Honda city (he too bought used few years back) to a dealer.
We saw the same car listed on olx for about 90K more price than what we sold for and Kms mentioned as 85000.
Yeah, this happens more often than not. Better but if at all within the circle.
Dealers will cheat you 100%

It's so confusing to choose a car, Honda City fits the bill as a spacious 5 seater with good reliability and good after sales server but no gncap ratings (but probably safe as tested with asian ncap) but a big con is its High speed stability is not good. Other hand creta/seltos looks like the perfect option but it's bad in safety. Is there a comfortable 5 seater AT with good safety under 20l? Was even considering xuv 300 but need good automatic transmission. Was excited about kushaq/Taigun but they're not spacious, considered upcoming mg Astor but it's "heavily localised" too so not really considering it unless it comes with gncap rating. Harrier/hector would be good if they had ncap rating, mg said hector rating would be out soon.

I know there's no perfect car and I get that I'm complaining and nitpicking, expecting a lot but just can't stand the fact when other asian countries have plenty of options in this segment while we're stuck with this. I mean look at Ford territory in the Philippines, it looks like the perfect crossover which won't come here!

It's so confusing to choose a car, Honda City fits the bill as a spacious 5 seater with good reliability and good after sales server but no gncap ratings (but probably safe as tested with asian ncap) but a big con is its High speed stability is not good. Other hand creta/seltos looks like the perfect option but it's bad in safety. Is there a comfortable 5 seater AT with good safety under 20l? Was even considering xuv 300 but need good automatic transmission. Was excited about kushaq/Taigun but they're not spacious, considered upcoming mg Astor but it's "heavily localised" too so not really considering it unless it comes with gncap rating. Harrier/hector would be good if they had ncap rating, mg said hector rating would be out soon.

I know there's no perfect car and I get that I'm complaining and nitpicking, expecting a lot but just can't stand the fact when other asian countries have plenty of options in this segment while we're stuck with this. I mean look at Ford territory in the Philippines, it looks like the perfect crossover which won't come here!
Did you check nexons ratings??

but a big con is its High speed stability is not good.
And do you plan to drive her beyond 140? Given the pathetic limitations in India which are only getting worse day by day, gone are the good old days when one can cruise legally beyond 100kmph.
Yet I will go with Honda city blind folded.

Have you been inside one? It's build quality is no longer as good as it used to be, in fact it feels barely better than the tin can Ciaz. Even interior quality has taken a big hit. I'd much rather pick up an Ecosport, Kushaq or a used Corolla in this budget.
Plus it has a long list of niggles apparently, there's an entire thread on Team BHP of new owners reporting their niggles which seems to have grown faster than a new Tata or Mahindra car

And do you plan to drive her beyond 140? Given the pathetic limitations in India which are only getting worse day by day, gone are the good old days when one can cruise legally beyond 100kmph.
Me too but then I read this from bhp
Screenshot_20210814-171734.png

Have you been inside one? It's build quality is no longer as good as it used to be, in fact it feels barely better than the tin can Ciaz. Even interior quality has taken a big hit. I'd much rather pick up an Ecosport, Kushaq or a used Corolla in this budget.
Plus it has a long list of niggles apparently, there's an entire thread on Team BHP of new owners reporting their niggles which seems to have grown faster than a new Tata or Mahindra car
I think it's way more safe than tin cans. It was tested in Asian ncap and got 5 stars and while it was not the Indian model that was tested, Honda seems to include that in their brochure so it could be equally good or It could be shit too, we never know these days. Also with the heavy localisation I wouldn't trust kushaq either unless it's tested by gncap. My friend has a ecosport but it kinda felt cramped in the back but it's still my backup option.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention not the newest shit model but any day a used 3rd or 4th gen.
But you cannot ignore the resale value of City. Even a 3rd hand city sells like anything.
Hyundai Verna comes second and is good.
Ford is crap and recently heard news of defects again + costly parts.
Toyota good but again no resale value.
VW/Skodas etc. hardly any resell value + costly parts + hefty maintenance.
Maruti, yes a lot of resale value + cheapest parts around but its mostly for the aam aadmi Indian tendency no nonsense headache family car.

If you want specially only for die hard Indian roads then always go for Maruti, Mahindra and Tata. You will get it serviced even from a tribal guy in remotest tribal zone.

Btw is spending hefty on creta or seltos makes sense at the cost of safety? Then why spend those excess anywhere?
Today its all marketing gimmick with compromised pattern on features. They charge you 15lacs but give 9-10 lacs only.

BTW I hate factory stuff and always prefer rather trust after market things, no mods but stock! So even if I buy a brand new car the tyres will be on sale sooner and then later things like ICE!

As for TBHP, I dont trust them as one day someone praises one model and the next few rant over it! Its just a forum not a definite place to judge and then buy and obviously not approved by Govt. of India.
Everyone has their own pattern of driving, skills and choice and hence they share their exp.

If you ask too many queries they will redirect you to Maruti, Mahindra and Tata..only peace no headache!

Lastly, I'm the person who hates to deal in 80s and 100s as my sweet cruising spot starts beyond 140kmph mark :cool: so obviously imagine the tests I will make the car go through before I enjoy her to the fullest limits!

Last edited:
we never know these days
Yup, that's why I would not trust it. Honda India's build quality for not just City, but all their cars (apart from the Civic) feels like a very significant downgrade in recent years.
Also with the heavy localisation I wouldn't trust kushaq either
Fair point, I was just talking about the build and stability, not explicitly safety. Kushaq seems to be dynamically pretty good from judging from the reviews.
My friend has a ecosport but it kinda felt cramped in the back but it's still my backup option.
I have one, and it feels well built but this is one strange thing I haev noticed - the rear doors feels significantly lighter, and have a "worse" thud than the fron ones, which feel heavy and butch. Not sure what's going on there, but apart from that no issues with build. But yes, no gncap was a downer but back then, the only alternative was the Sonet and the Ecosport seemed a far better overall package, plus got good discounts from the dealer as well. Were especially reluctant to go with Sonet (or Venue) because of the recent Seltos crash results, plus they felt even more cramped in the rear.

I have one, and it feels well built but this is one strange thing I haev noticed - the rear doors feels significantly lighter, and have a "worse" thud than the fron ones, which feel heavy and butch. Not sure what's going on there, but apart from that no issues with build. But yes, no gncap was a downer but back then,
You have the touchscreen version? I dig it.

Also, how are you liking the sound quality of oem setup? I totally love it and am happy it sounds good with my music taste but itch to upgrade has been there for long, after I tried Nexon's audio once. But then I am not too familiar with offerings in market and think I may not get a fantastic setup for a reasonable price.

Back