The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

Re: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Official Price Announced !!

I used IMToo yesterday with custom MP4 settings and set the video to zoom and it was pretty good. I guess somebody(excluding me :p) needs to put a small guide for the same on TE :)

^Use "Any Video Converter" or "Total Video Converter"; worked for my iPhone, iPod, Zune, Cellphone, everything.

Hows SUPER Video Converter? I used IMTOO but its not upto the mark.

will try winavi.

PhOeNiX said:
I used WinAVI yesterday to convert Die Hard 4.0. I used 640x352, should have used 640x480, but still , got amazing conversion, the video played flawlessly. Remaining settings were default.
Why will 640x480 play better than 640x352? Screen resolution is 640x360.So 640x360 should be pretty good.

techpal said:
Why will 640x480 play better than 640x352? Screen resolution is 640x360.So 640x360 should be pretty good.

640x480 is a standard resolution, so the conversion will be better... and 640x360 is non-standard, and I think the actual pixel count is 352 only and not 360.

well just i tried SUPER at 640x480 and output is flawless and butter smooth at 3mbps bitrate better than imtoo.

Moreover 640x360 is not non standard .its 16:9 which all Hd movies are of.

techpal said:
well just i tried SUPER at 640x480 and output is flawless and butter smooth at 3mbps bitrate better than imtoo.
Moreover 640x360 is not non standard .its 16:9 which all Hd movies are of.

Great.. it plays @3mbps??

Err... sorry for the typo.. i meant 640x352 is non-standard..

vpraveenis said:
Great.. it plays @3mbps??

Err... sorry for the typo.. i meant 640x352 is non-standard..
ok:D . ya it plays at 3000 bitrate very smoothly.

techpal said:
Whats the best video converter for 5800? And also best settings.

I have myself used the Xilisoft Video Converter for converting my videos to MP4. You can use bit rates as high as 3mbps, the file size is also going to increase proportionally, Most aXXo rips I checked were encoded at 900~1000kbps for video and 128kbps for audio to get a 700MB file, I tired 600kbps for video and 128kbps for audio and got a 450MB file which played without any loss in video quality. I guess you can go even lower for a smaller file size, but frankly this device can play pretty high bit rate MP4 videos at 640x360.

Lord Nemesis said:
I have myself used the Xilisoft Video Converter for converting my videos to MP4. You can use bit rates as high as 3mbps, the file size is also going to increase proportionally, Most aXXo rips I checked were encoded at 900~1000kbps for video and 128kbps for audio to get a 700MB file, I tired 600kbps for video and 128kbps for audio and got a 450MB file which played without any loss in video quality. I guess you can go even lower for a smaller file size, but frankly this device can play pretty high bit rate MP4 videos at 640x360.

Ya true. This is amazing when it comes to video playback. I was thinking about getting IPOD TOUCH before buying 5800, well thank GOD i got 5800 since its equal in terms of video playback and sound quality to it. and its phone + camera as well.

techpal said:
Ya true. This is amazing when it comes to video playback. I was thinking about getting IPOD TOUCH before buying 5800, well thank GOD i got 5800 since its equal in terms of video playback and sound quality to it. and its phone + camera as well.

How about the battery life when it comes to video playback at full blast??

And when normally speaking over phone, the proximity sensor shuts the screen down.. but what happens if an handsfree is used?? The screen stays on? and is it possible to lock the screen using the slider during a call when using handsfree?

vpraveenis said:
How about the battery life when it comes to video playback at full blast??

Unfortunately, that's the only slag to its video capabilities at the moment, Though Its rated for 35 hours of audio playback, the video playback time is a measly 3~4 hours, Otherwise the display is brilliant, viewing angles pretty good and even the TV-Out is of very acceptable quality for viewing on a SD TV. Way better than the 320x240 res TV Out quality of the COWON D2. I hope someone releases higher rated batteries for this device just like the PSP.

Battery life isnt good for long videos but ya video quality is unmatched on a phone.

how to get this GPS thing working everything i try it does not work at all. the manuals aint helpful either.

It's takes quite sometime for the GPS to locate satellites in a new phone...

I suggest u activate GPS by going to Location >> GPS data >> Position. Click on Satellite status and then leave the phone in one position for approx 15-20 mins (don't keep moving around or else it won't work)

I put the phone on my balcony for around 15 min in a still position and then it got full signal strength from the satellites...

NeViLLe said:
It's takes quite sometime for the GPS to locate satellites in a new phone...

I suggest u activate GPS by going to Location >> GPS data >> Position. Click on Satellite status and then leave the phone in one position for approx 15-20 mins (don't keep moving around or else it won't work)

I put the phone on my balcony for around 15 min in a still position and then it got full signal strength from the satellites...

15 minutes?:huh: The GPS devices I used to use some 5-6 years back (Garmin, Magellan etc.) could get 3-4 satellites within a minute or 2. BTW, don't try it inside the house or even under a tree since it requires unobstructed sky.

janitha said:
15 minutes?:huh: The GPS devices I used to use some 5-6 years back (Garmin, Magellan etc.) could get 3-4 satellites within a minute or 2. BTW, don't try it inside the house or even under a tree since it requires unobstructed sky.

Satellite lock with normal GPS takes time on mobile phones. That's why they introduced A-GPS which helps to reduce this lock-on period to about a minute. A-GPS uses the mobile towers to locate faster (by transferring data via GPRS)

So there are two options.

1. Satellite lock without A-GPS(no data sent through GPRS) - takes longer

2. Satellite lock with A-GPS support(data sent through GPRS) - takes much lesser time.

Once you get a lock, navigation can be handed by the GPS receiver without support from A-GPS

Yes it requires unostructed sky. Terrace is the best place to experiment the satellite locks.

vpraveenis said:
Yeah that's right.. the proximity sensor "detects" object and shuts the display down during calls..and this happens if it's covered by a screen guard

That gets me thinking... what happens when a call comes in and the mobile is inside the pocket... the proximity sensor would detect and shuts down the screen.. good for saving battery :eek:hyeah: but does it switch on once the device is taken out of pocket or it still stays off??

And I read somewhere that calls can be muted by placing the phone face down.. with the aid of proximity sensor.. again if calls get muted this way, we would not realize a call coming in if the device is in pocket.. the proximity sensor will simply mute the incoming call.... :huh:

I hope this proximity sensor :mad: will get activated only after you have "Answered" the call. other wise there are whole lot of Nuisance possibilities happening :p

Back