The Power Supply Unit recommendation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
kuld33p said:
Hey Guys, I am in process of building my Home Server and looking for parts for the same. I will be adding lots of HDD in future. For now there will be around 4-5 HDDs. It would be used for streaming HD content music and file sharing and will run 24x7x365 sitting in a corner somewhere in my home.

No GFX Card will be installed.

Most probably will run ASUS Mobo with 3200 on board GFX and Phenom 9850BE.. no overclocking required.

So I need suggestion for the PSU considering max 12 HDDs in mind in future.

please suggest PSUs with min and max price and quality. Don't need an overkill.. Never gonna install a GFX Card (FYI)

Thanks

Kuldeep
anyone ?????

Corsair cx 400 should be enough, 2.4k , you can even go for cheaper FSP 350/400, but since you will be running it 24/7 go with corsair for its superior A.S.S.

Arjun said:
Corsair cx 400 should be enough, 2.4k , you can even go for cheaper FSP 350/400, but since you will be running it 24/7 go with corsair for its superior A.S.S.
Buddy can't you see that he would be using 12 HDDs in the future so do you think CX400 would be enough for that... And most mid-end PSUs don't even come with 12 SATA power connectors... He would have to use 4pin molex to Sata power connectors if he wanna buy a low to mid end PSU...

@OP

AFAIK most highend boards only come with 8 SATA ports (except X58 chipset high end boards which comes with 10ports) so i really dont think that you would be able to add 12HDDs in the future...

Thanks for the reply guys, @Hades I will be adding some Sata Controllers later on.

but that is not going to be in near future.. say at least 1-2 years.. but i want to buy a PSU which I don't have to change for the next 5 years at least..

I would just want to just keep adding the HDDs... and thats it.. :)

Get yourself a Corsair VX 550W ~ 4400/- INR Corsair VX550 550w Power Supply | circuitREMIX OR TX 650W ~ price no clue. Hope this helps, I'm recommending these PSU's instead of generic stuff as the HDDs will no doubt carry precious information and you'll be loathe to loose that so to be on te safe side carry a PSU with an ample head-room :). If you are highly restricted by budget go for the FSP Blue Storm Pro 500W ~ 3500/- INR -- FSP Blue Storm 500w « XSReviews / Fortron-Source Power Blue Storm AX500-A PSU | silentpcreview.com / TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!FSP Blue Storm Pro 500W Power Supply - TheITWares

Hi friends, I am facing a annoying screen flickering problem after I added a new 500GB HDD and 2GB corsair DDR3.. Everybody is telling me its the problem of PSU. So please suggest me a PSU. My budget is ~3k..

Ubuntu 10.10 (64-bit)
RAM: 2GB DDR3 (Kingstone-2GB)
Phenom II X2 3.2 GHz black edition
mobo: ASUS - M4A785T-M
cooler master 400W PSU (came with the CM Elite cabinet)
500GB segate HDD
(I don't have GPU)
UPS: APC 650

Added later: 2GB corsair DDR3 AND segate 500GB HDD

You can see here how the screen flickering is occurring:
screen flicker 1 on Vimeo
screen flicker 2 on Vimeo

thanks

Lord Dagon said:
This will do the job: Gigabyte Superb 460W GE-R460-V1 Power Supply

GIGABYTE - PC Components - Power Supply - Superb series - Superb 460

It will cost you around 2k.

Thanks. Anyway, you are recommending me to upgrade the PSU after seeing my problem (video) ?

I am planning to get a VX450 today..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I exchanged my old CM-400 watt (which came with CM-Elite cabinet) with a new VX450. Bought from ashirwaad.. Paid Rs.2,700/- (Including tax)

amar7 said:
Thanks. Anyway, you are recommending me to upgrade the PSU after seeing my problem (video) ?

I am planning to get a VX450 today..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I exchanged my old CM-400 watt (which came with CM-Elite cabinet) with a new VX450. Bought from ashirwaad.. Paid Rs.2,700/- (Including tax)

It will serve you exceedingly well, the VX450. Congos on that, a great deal indeed :)

eternoMind said:
It will serve you exceedingly well, the VX450. Congos on that, a great deal indeed :)
thanks :) Its awesome.. the build quality, packaging, cable management, less noise, etc.. and 80+ efficiency.. worth the extra cost..

Corsair products mean peace of mind, can't go wrong with them. VX450 is an awesome power supply. Also RMA is quick and easy.

amar7 said:
Hi friends, I am facing a annoying screen flickering problem after I added a new 500GB HDD and 2GB corsair DDR3.. Everybody is telling me its the problem of PSU. So please suggest me a PSU. My budget is ~3k..

Added later: 2GB corsair DDR3 AND segate 500GB HDD

You can see here how the screen flickering is occurring:

screen flicker 1 on Vimeo

screen flicker 2 on Vimeo

thanks
The flickering can also happen because of bad memory, and as you are seeing the problem after adding memory I will suggest remove the memory and test. If screen still flicker, it's PSU otherwise you know what it is now :).

hey guys i am assembling a new rig and stuck on making a choice for the right power supply

i was leaning towards a 850 watt unit as i intend to sli my 460 down the line

my question is should i go for a 750 watt unit or a 850 watt

the price difference between the two is quite minimum

also i am wondering that if i buy a 850 watt power supply and do not sli then will my power usage be high

the reason why i am still a bit inclined towards a 850 watt unit is because it will be future proof investment just the power consumption issue worries me

I am building a new rig. Planning to put a high end card on it within the next 2 months . My confusion is between HX650 and SS 750w .Both are in my range . I wanted a modular but will giving up 100w for modular good enough a choice . And one more thing proccy is i5 2500k and mobo is gigabyte P67A-UD3R . Will not do any SLI , will stick to single card setup.

deathgoddg said:
I am building a new rig. Planning to put a high end card on it within the next 2 months . My confusion is between HX650 and SS 750w .Both are in my range . I wanted a modular but will giving up 100w for modular good enough a choice . And one more thing proccy is i5 2500k and mobo is gigabyte P67A-UD3R . Will not do any SLI , will stick to single card setup.

HX650 is more than enough even for the current most power hungry GTX580... And FYI the board that you are looking to buy doesn't support SLI & CFX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back