Audio Which IEM should I get sub-8k?

Re: Can someone lend me their RE-ZERO

I'll buy TF10 but the only thing is that what if they do not fit me properly. :(

BTW I dont like overly bright sounding IEMs

The fit issue is there but its not as bad as its made out to be .Unless you have ultra small ears (like that of BF1983 :p ) , you wont have much problems with the fit . I myself have small ears but not too small and the TF10s fit me well . You just need to try a lot of different tips till you get the perfect fit :).

Also I might have my own TF10 Vis for sale soon .

Hmm, really from what i have read , DBA-02 are not overly bright, they are bright sure but not overly.

they can be called balanced even.

santosh , HELP !

FaH33m said:
The fit issue is there but its not as bad as its made out to be .Unless you have ultra small ears (like that of BF1983 :p ) , you wont have much problems with the fit . I myself have small ears but not too small and the TF10s fit me well . You just need to try a lot of different tips till you get the perfect fit :).

But Im not quite comfortable with using Comply Tips if THAT is what it takes to get a good seal/fit. I'd like if I get a good fit with them with the Sony (fake?) hybrid tips. The Medium-size tips of the same served me well with the M3

FaH33m said:
Also I might have my own TF10 Vis for sale soon .
That sounds good, PM me when you put them on sale :)

strategy said:
Hmm, really from what i have read , DBA-02 are not overly bright, they are bright sure but not overly.

they can be called balanced even.

santosh , HELP !
Correct me if im wrong but they seem bass-light (like RE2) and have a high emphasis on treble (Both of which I dont really prefer)

Well its possible that I did not get a proper fit with the TF10s. But considering so many posts on head-fi and other forums where they call the bass muddy I think there is more to the issue than meets the eye. :)

Are Triple.fi 10 Pros supposed to be muddy? - Page 5 - Head-Fi.org Community

Regarding to UE Triple Fi 10 « Headfonia's Lounge

IMO the M3s and 262 have more or less the same treble energy. The TF10s are significantly better than the other two.

I did an AB swap between the TF10 and the M3 and I felt the bass become tighter (while having similar punch), the mids became a bit more forward and smoother than the TF10s but the highs just seemed to disappear on the M3s ! I never thought the M3s to be so treble shy. But comparing them to the TF10s I noticed a huge difference. :p

Unfortunately, there's no scale on which brightness can be measured. I consider DBA-02 to be one of the most technically brilliant IEMs in my collection. But the fact remains that my ears are rolled off at higher frequencies and I am not sure what somebody with a greater hearing in the highs (> 15-16 Khz) would feel about the brightness or sparkle. I like treble-heavy music like Opeth and my tolerance for DBA-02's lean, fast, sparkling and forward treble is probably much higher.

It's bass is 'natural' for my ears, but it won't work with electronica. It has enough to make drums sound like drums and that's all I care for (quick, not bloated, no humps, not too much quantity or rumble). But, RE2 was considerably silent in the bass area. DBA-02 does have some impact when listening to something like Infected Mushroom. But, it's nowhere near the experience something like a DDM/TF10/FX700 can provide which is mostly due to the fact that the bass has not much of a body.

Are they bright? Yes! Are they "overly" bright? Probably.

It takes less time for one to appreciate something like FX700 or TF10 or DDM than it takes to appreciate something like a DBA-02. As much as I love it, I still won't recommend it to everybody.

BF1983 said:
Well its possible that I did not get a proper fit with the TF10s. But considering so many posts on head-fi and other forums where they call the bass muddy I think there is more to the issue than meets the eye

The posts in those links call the mid range muddy most of the time. As far bass goes, mvw2 says

As for the muddy comment, I will agree that these are actually slightly muddy in the bass department. It's just that the notes are very thick in nature, very unusual for BA drivers, but if one carefully listens to the bass, it does tend to blurr a little bit, not much but some. It's not enough to really care about and not as bad as some dynamic drivers by a long shot, but it is there if you choose to be critical about how it reproduces the notes. I think it's just the thick nature of the notes that create that sense of muddiness with these earphones.

The thick notes actually help in some genres. It's certainly not bloated or muddy as some dynamic IEMs tend to be. The thick notes and body may be the difference between M3 and TF10. I would not call TF10 muddy.

My mind is again going back to RE262, can please someone oblige me with a short comparison b/w RE262 and DBA-02? which of these could give me a feeling as though Im at a concert listening live to my fav. bands music? :p

When I tried the RE-0 I liked it immediately, but its soundstage didn't impress me much, plus I'd also want a bit more bass which goes deep.

Also, are portable headphones good? I mean in the isolation department? I could also buy a headphone. Budget - 8k

P.S Maybe this could help - I listen to Coldplay majorly, like their music very much. Also if I buy the RE262 I could buy an amp for it later.

esanthosh said:
The thick notes actually help in some genres. It's certainly not bloated or muddy as some dynamic IEMs tend to be. The thick notes and body may be the difference between M3 and TF10. I would not call TF10 muddy.
I would quite agree with him. :)

I did say I found it a 'bit' muddy in 'some' tracks. Its no EP-630 for sure ! :p

Which means I got a good seal with the TF10s. :D

@Mephistophilies - I suggest you see if you can try the RE262s without an amp. Frankly its not as bad as I am making it out to be but I love the imaging of these phones and frankly its just not that good unamped. Otherwise bass, treble and most importantly midrange are all there.

The TF10s are also good with deeper bass and more sparkle in the treble but I did not like the mids at all in certain tracks. If you like music with a lot of vocals I wouldn't suggest the TF10s.

Mephistophilies

Its Mephistopheles actually :)

The TF10s are also good with deeper bass and more sparkle in the treble but I did not like the mids at all in certain tracks. If you like music with a lot of vocals I wouldn't suggest the TF10s.

That is the reason I think I might not like them.

very few here have 262 or the DBA02 AND i dont think there is any one here who has both RE262 and DBA02

ask faheem weather he has heard the DBA02 , else look in to Head-fi !

Is there any chance you can try either the RE262 or the TF10s ? My music is not what most people listen to and I am worried I may be a bit biased in this regard. The TF10s are not terrible in the mid-range but at times I found them overtly recessed while in other tracks they sounded great. True its not their main USP but its not as bad as I make it to be.

Is there any chance you can try either the RE262 or the TF10s ?

Sigh! Unfortunately no

All this R&D is giving me a headache, feel like getting myself RE-ZERO and getting over this whole damn thing. What is in my budget isn't appealing me very much and the thing that is appealing is way out of budget :mad:

^ you tried them with the Twilight cable or the stock one? (edit : aimed at BF1983 )

and yeah, its always better if you can audition, what you are buying. it helps make a decision ( also increases your budget )

and yeah, its always better if you can audition, what you are buying. it helps make a decision ( also increases your budget )

I do not think I could be able to go beyond, lets say max-to-max 9k (I will be left with ZERO :p, this is not something that I've kept aside for audio rather its all the money I have)

I'd love to audition the RE262, DBA-02 and TF10 but I dont think that could be possible, do anyone in Chandigarh/PKL have these? :ashamed:

BTW How is the soundstage of RE-ZERO as compared to M3?

:O , you are soo naive!!

Chandigarh is THE place for audio gear in india !

you can find all the Highend gear in Chandigarh , HM801, HE6, DBA02, Grados , name it !!

ask amarbir, he has sold RE262, DBA02 and TF10 in chandigarh itself !

here i was jealous of you Chandigarh guys !

strategy said:
:O , you are soo naive!!

Chandigarh is THE place for audio gear in india !

you can find all the Highend gear in Chandigarh , HM801, HE6, DBA02, Grados , name it !!

ask amarbir, he has sold RE262, DBA02 and TF10 in chandigarh itself !

here i was jealous of you Chandigarh guys !
I know about him, I auditioned RE0 at his store itself but I reckon he doesn't have DBA02 in stock. And I presume he wont let me audition TF10 if I wont be buying from him as they are relatively expensive

i dont think he has tf10 in stock.

moreover i was not suggesting you try at his store rather sak him to give you the contacts of his costumers who have those. contact them if they do not object , its great.

@strategy - i have only heard the tf10 with the twilight cable. i dunno how the stock one sounds

I've been reading on the TF10 and many people are saying that they do not sound good for music which have vocals in it plus many people report fit issues which is a turn off for me and as I do not see any way of trying them out I do not want to take this risk. Now I think you guys also have a good idea of what I'm looking for so please name one IEM/audio hardware I should get sub-9k asap

BTW what about RE-ZERO+E7= ~8.1k from Lynx-India? :ashamed:

E7 is only good if you use it as a DAC , are you repaired to connect it to a PC to listen to music ! that's not a portable setup!

IF you are considering REzero , its better to buy zero+HM601 combo at 12.5k ...its pportable and enough to drive cans also !

About TF10 Mids, the thing is people compare tf10 with the IEMs in its price range , say shure e530, Mids will definately be recessed , thin compared to it ( its an example ) . IMO the Mids of TF10 are better than my Image S4, but thats where it ends , its not a highlight of TF10, and yes if you prefer Jazz and vocal based music , RE262 is a far better alternative.

A portable amplifier below 5K cant be had in india ! sorry.

Back