BSNL 3G Thread

@spacevoid yup its good looking and also the main thing is the auto dial feature which works perfectly :clap:

Today i am getting constant speed of 520 - 550 KBps and no spikes at all :hap2: Seems like bsnl were upgarding thier network.

I travelled to Thane last Friday evening and to my surprise both my BSNL cards were not working.
I have a prepaid 2G sim in my N8 and a prepaid 3G Sim in my E122. Tried calling their CC but not much of help. Suddenly both my Sims started working from saturday evening. Before that I was able to see the Dolphin network manually but it gave an access denied error when I tried to select it. Also the speed were very poor in Thane(Vasant Vihar area). Though the signals were strong. above 97%. I was not able to cross 600kbps. (Kbits) speeds. :(
Also here in Pune I am getting 1.3 ~ 1.8 Mbps (again bits) download speed and same upload speed consistently.... but not more than that. Dunno y. Signals r above 90% (-81db to -87db)

Supra, i agree with you on the same, i am facing these issues from Saturday.Even though signal strength is constant, there is continuous spikes in data also browsing has been slow.

Supra said:
Spikes issue and no data xfer issue still gng on today :mad:

Time to file a complaint now
Since I have been suffering from this crap for the past one month due to speeds hovering around 10 - 200 Kbps I went to CSC yesterday evening at around 5:15 to give a writtern complaint.

The bsnl aunty did not even take the compaint. She replied come tommorow office hours are 10-5. bah.....

I already gave a complaint through phone and through Consumer Grivience portal.

What ever compaint is not going to make their A$$ to work.

EDIT: This could be one of the many reasons of the connectivity problem yesterday.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/120526/bsnl-mobile-goes-deaf-5.html

BSNL mobile goes deaf for 5 hrs

Bangalore, Dec 13, DHNS:

Many mobile subscribers of Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) in the state found their cellphones unable to receive signals for more than five hours on Monday.

About 4.4 lakh subscribers in several parts of the state had to bear outage of telecom services from 11 am to around 4.30 pm due to a power snag at one of the main exchanges in Bangalore.

BSNL sources said a power problem at the Mobile Switching Centre (MSC) situated at Shankarpuram exchange disrupted the connections to all the Base Transceiver Stations (BTS) connected to it. “The tripping of a power line at the MSC brought down connections to BTS units linked from here to all over the state,” a BSNL official stated.

This particular MSC is connected to 1,400 BTS out of 2,000 BTS in Bangalore itself. All the affected connections were 2G connections. BSNL General Manager (Mobile Operations) Shubendhu Tiwari maintained that the glitch was not major in nature and was fixed immediately. “Only 10 per cent of the lines were affected,” he said. BSNL has 4.4 million mobile subscribers in Karnataka.

The problem was fixed over the next few hours and all the lines were functional by 4.30 pm. But several subscribers complained that their network experienced problems. “Call drops” were reported till Monday night.

OMG with so many complaints I am again on 2nd thoughts about doing the 4200 recharge.
Anybody facing similiar issues in Pune?
I stay in Viman Nagar area ... I dont get speeds above 2mbps but they dont go this low also.... It would reallly be sad to pay 4200 bucks and surf at EDGE speeds :(

well here in gujarat connectivity is nowadays very gpod, connection last more than 4 or 5 hours with good speed, haven't seen spike issues here.

talked to few others, even thev have no issues.

^Amen. :)

Getting a constant 2mbps for downloads. Faced a downtime for almost 45 mins. yesterday night but resumed without a fuss.

I think the spikes issue is happening only for karnataka users. Yesterday morning i was getting very good speed but by noon it was again same old story. Although http downloads are ok but torrent downloads are horrible due to these constant spikes and the speed dosent go above 30 KBps with even good no of seeders.

i am atm in Hubli and i am getting speeds in the range of 700~750 KBps last night at around 2 am there were some frequent disconnection problems for 30 mins. No browsing problems what so ever

I went through past 84 pages of this thread, but I still have one doubt. What is the performance of BSNL 3g in MTNL network of Mumbai. I am asking because I need ot for my sister who will be using it in both Mumbai and Pune. Some Users at broadbandforum have reported 2g speeds with BSNL 3g sim in 3g network of MTNL Mumbai.:huh:

@raksrules I think you may have first hand experience for this. Please share that what speeds you got at Mumbai/Navi Mumbai.

Regarding Internet issue, I think there is some problem with the Gateway itself as only one of the Six Leased lines of my organization was working satisfactorily yesterday. Even cable internet at my home was behaving funny.
Today it is much better but still struggling to go over 20mbps.

just started using this antenna with umg181 and bsnl 3g. It greatly improves the signal strength indoors if your signal is low. Does not help if your signal strength is already above 85%. I am having a laptop for download indoors and I was getting 48% signal. Having this antenna sticked to the window with its magnetic based increased the signal to 99% and consequently the speeds.

eBay India: TRAVEL ANTENNA fits Huawei UMG181 Modem Aircard Stick (item 270587592886 end time 28-Dec-2010 21:28:58 IST)

dunno about yesterday even today, speeds are the same low and fluctuating, be it surfing or torrents.My mobile partner is showing signal strength of 95% dunno if it can get better than this.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

buBleZ said:
just started using this antenna with umg181 and bsnl 3g. It greatly improves the signal strength indoors if your signal is low. Does not help if your signal strength is already above 85%. I am having a laptop for download indoors and I was getting 48% signal. Having this antenna sticked to the window with its magnetic based increased the signal to 99% and consequently the speeds.

eBay India: TRAVEL ANTENNA fits Huawei UMG181 Modem Aircard Stick (item 270587592886 end time 28-Dec-2010 21:28:58 IST)

The link is for US ebay, did someone get the same for you.

@TechYoda BSNL 3G worked fine in Mumbai shows as DOLPHIN 3G but the speed were very average just around half Mbps (500 - 600 kbps) most of the time, I tried it at various locations and that was the speed that I was getting even with full signal strength on my USB E122 data card.

^^ +1 I too tried it in Thane at couple of locations and at Dadar. Speeds were very average peaking to 600kbps.....
Any feedbacks from Pune.... I dont wanna repent after recharging with the 4200 recharge....
Also has anyone tried to do this 4200 recharge online?? I could not see any option for this on the bsnl portal. The max amt thr was Rs1500/-

onlyravi said:
^^ +1 I too tried it in Thane at couple of locations and at Dadar. Speeds were very average peaking to 600kbps.....
Any feedbacks from Pune.... I dont wanna repent after recharging with the 4200 recharge....
Also has anyone tried to do this 4200 recharge online?? I could not see any option for this on the bsnl portal. The max amt thr was Rs1500/-
I am on MTNL home network and i get around 225KB/sec max.
The speeds are fluctuating a lot everyday though

Back