Nokia 5230 listed for 8.5k in ebay

abbY said:
3. My Nokia 5233 shows the options for bluetooth GPS as well as Network GPS, Ovi Maps gives me the option to use GPS as an option.
This probably confirms the theory that the 5233 does not have a standalone GPS chip or even if there is one (according to the schematic diagrams on the nokia web site), it is locked in the firmware. Maybe Nokia has kept that as an easter egg so one of us can start delving into system files to figure out what really is the case.
A bluetooth GPS is an add-on accessory while network GPS is nothing but triangulation using cell towers which needs access to a data plan.
I guess the bottom line is 5233 = 5230 - GPS - 3G

janitha said:
This thread used to be very popular for just few days! I would like to know the fate of the model. Or has it become extinct?:S

best to say this model is out of production now , was just litening to FM radio and Nokia ad came ,they mentioned all their touch phones 5233, 5530 , 5800 but no mention of 5230 so you can make a logical conclusion now

gforce said:
This probably confirms the theory that the 5233 does not have a standalone GPS chip or even if there is one (according to the schematic diagrams on the nokia web site), it is locked in the firmware. Maybe Nokia has kept that as an easter egg so one of us can start delving into system files to figure out what really is the case.

Hey What are u trying to say??
Do u mean 5233 has GPS hardware but Nokia has purposely disabled it just for the sake to reduce their sales!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I personally dont understand why they stopped production of 5230,i hope its not a failure model :(
I bought a moto a810 last and it was a failure model.

I simply adore the phone(the camera could have been better)..
I hope nokia continues thier production of nokia 5230( i can only hope :huh:)

Srirama said:
I personally dont understand why they stopped production of 5230,i hope its not a failure model :(

I bought a moto a810 last and it was a failure model.

I simply adore the phone(the camera could have been better)..

I hope nokia continues thier production of nokia 5230( i can only hope :huh:)

Failure model? It's selling like hot cakes all over Europe. Top most viewed Nokia phone on gsmarena. I think it was a marketing strategy to stop production of 5230 because a 2G model will "sell" better here in India when 3G's not yet fully available or cheap :) ....

surely 3g would be prevelant in india in atleast another couple of years.

and this is going to be my phone,till i start to earn myself :eek:hyeah:

so,i am satisfied that i bought one heck of a VFM phone.

als said:
yes it is out of production as west Delhi is concerned

so i will have to go with nokia 58oo i guess

no way have the nokia 5230 stopped in production .just the fact that 3G is not the Standard in india hindering their promotions.
That is why they are marketing Nokia 5233 more since is more practical in current scenario.
Have seen many online ads where nokia clubs 5230 and 5233 together.

v.Na5h said:
Hey What are u trying to say??
Do u mean 5233 has GPS hardware but Nokia has purposely disabled it just for the sake to reduce their sales!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The same thing happened with N78 , it had an FM transmitter but they disabled it in the firmware .

kkndka said:
I'm guessing they've stopped the 5230 because it was eating into sales of the 5800.

Not possible coz 5800 has the advantages.
1) Wi-fi
2 )3.2 MPX camera
Also now the sen* headphones are better buy.
But Nokia is targetting mainly Samsung Star and Corby series for competition
thus these models.

Hey Guys how much amount of ram memory is free n ur phones

In my case its just 30-35 mb normally without any apps open
i feel its too low :(

Could u guys post ur experiences

Hmmm check with some ram clean application , mine generally hovers around 50mb , i use fring opera n music app together then it goes 30 -35 with contact homescreen and using large size pics for your contact screen user a lot of ram . Do check that also

^^ i am on default theme with default wallpaper and still when i close all apps the MAXIMUM free mem i get is 42 (not even i single kb more than that)

bitspilani said:
hey
i am gonna update firmware . i have backed up the data of mobile.
still any problem which can occur after updating the firmware ?
None if you do it correctly.
By the way,I found that once the update starts and the phone restarts for the process,the 5230 is detected as a 5800. Think about that.;)

Back