Dragon Age 2 - Discussion Thread

Tarcxy

Disciple
Jul 31, 2009
Re: Dragon Age II

vamsi_krishna said:
Installed the texture pack. For a DX10 user, it does makes a difference, things are bit more detailed now.
So, is Dx10 option available in the main game or you have to select dx11 to use dx10 and experience crashes like the demo?

May 28, 2009

Actually there is only DX11 option. But as DX11 is backwards compatible with DX10, 10.1.. Users will still be able to enjoy DX10. No Crashes so far, but after the High Res texture pack update, I can see some artifacts in cutscenes here and there.

hyperknight

Disciple
Mar 20, 2010

As good as this game is, it has not changed my opinion that Witcher 2 is a better looking RPG ( and possibly maybe a better game )

However, I am still loving this game. So many hours of my life that I am not going to get back....

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me

DX11 max out is a bummer performance.

I'm able to get DX11 HIGH 2xAA 60fps vsync on

Ty Very High and drops to 30s

Put those flashy DX11 settings (3 of them) and drops to mid 20s

DX9 runs like blazing fast

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me

^^^ arrey, I meant between DX11 High and Very High

Of course there;s visual difference between DX9 and DX11, but not so much that you'd sacrifice performance for the sake of playing the game in DX11(in case it gets unplayable, in HD5700 series and lower)

varunversion1

Disciple
Jun 19, 2010
Bangalore

Finally finished the game... awesome ending... but leaves space for dlcs to finish the story completely... surprise character from dragon age 1 at the very end... :D

varunversion1

Disciple
Jun 19, 2010
Bangalore

It took me about 40 hours... but i like to finish every sidequest as well as listen to all the dialog options... maybe if u just played the main story u could cut tht short to around 30...

jc36lect3r

Skilled
Sep 5, 2009

40 hrs, hmmm. I am trying to decide between Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2, got money for only one of them :| Wondering which one will give me the most bang for my buck..

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me

jc36lect3r said:
40 hrs, hmmm. I am trying to decide between Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2, got money for only one of them :| Wondering which one will give me the most bang for my buck..
crysis 2 for multiplayer awesomeness and the superb cryengine editor 3

jc36lect3r

Skilled
Sep 5, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions, that would be the logical choice. It's always better to wait a year to pick up RPG's when they get re-released with all the DLC's. I picked up DA Ultimate Edition, Oblivion GOTY Edition all with all DLC's. Only exception, Mass Effect, bought both on release date :D Oh well, Crytek gets ma mullah ....

lolflakes

Disciple
Oct 12, 2010

I'm playing this game right now, I have to say it's a complete disappointment. I'm talking about the PC version here, never played any DA on the consoles.

Disliked :

- No isometric view (If you think it doesn't make a difference, wait till you get later on in the game and you try to cast an AOE spell with your mage).

- Can't change armor on companions.

- The dialogue system is basically saying yes in 3 ways.

- Terrible interaction between PC & companions - at the end of the game, I can safely say that I don't give a shit about my companions. This was not the case in Origins/Awakening to some extent.

- Can't pick a different race to play.

- No depth in combat unless the difficulty is set to Nightmare (to turn friendly fire on).

- Boss battles aren't as epic anymore - I'd give more details, but don't know how to use the spoiler tags.

- There are a total of about 6-7 environments in the game, all dungeons are recycled (not just textures, level design too - so you'll be playing the same dungeon just populated with different enemies).

- No crafting - you have to buy all your potions, can't make them for free.

- Story doesn't get interesting until the 2nd act.

Liked : Improvement in graphics, flashy combat moves, PC has a voice.

tl;dr

IMO compared to Dragon Age Origins, this game is shit.